XAMPP and NewzNab+ install on OS X

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP and NewzNab+ install on OS X

Postby RoddyJoff » 07. September 2016 14:00

Hello,

I am trying to install XAMPP and NewzNab+ on a MacMini.

I did successfully manage this about two years ago and had a working indexer but then a house move and two new grandchildren put the project on the back burner. Now that I am nicely ensconced in my new house I wish to start again but sadly I have hit a brick wall.

I'm new to XAMPP etc but relatively OK with the terminal and am sure that this is a simple problem but I have no idea how to fix it.

I have a MacMini with a new OS X el Capitan installation and nothing else.
I have XAMMP 7.0.9-0 and NewsNab+ - I purchased the latter the last t time I embarked on this journey.

I followed this
https://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12557&hilit=newznab+installation+tutorial+osx

guide which is the one I successfully used before.

After installing and accessing localhost from Safari I receive the following error

Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 403

localhost
Apache/2.4.23 (Unix) OpenSSL/1.0.2h PHP/7.0.9 mod_perl/2.0.8-dev Perl/v5.16.3

In the error log everytime I refresh the Safari page this is added

[Wed Sep 07 13:48:07.562050 2016] [core:error] [pid 9424] (13)Permission denied: [client ::1:49544] AH00035: access to / denied (filesystem path '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/nnplus/www') because search permissions are missing on a component of the path

I understand what the messages means but have no idea how to fix the search permissions on a component of the path

Can anyone advise me how to correct the path pleas?

I know how to change permissions, groups etc but unless I know where to make the changes I am stumped.

Many thanks in advance.
RoddyJoff

XAMPP version: 7.0.9-0
Operating System: El Capitan 10.11.6

Re: XAMPP and NewzNab+ install on OS X

Postby Nobbie » 08. September 2016 13:31

RoddyJoff wrote:I understand what the messages means but have no idea how to fix the search permissions on a component of the path

Google would help you on that (simply enter the error message). The search permission on folders is the "x" of the permission (i.e. folder permissions look like "drwxr-xr-x", as for all files, where r means read, w means write und x usually means "eXecute", but for folders "eXecute" does not make any sense, therefore the x is taken for the search permission). A folder without proper search permission for your User, Group and/or World cannot be listed (i.e. cannot be searched).

So in fact it seems, that some of your folders do not have the proper search permission, i.e. they do not have the mode 755 oder 777 or similar. Maybe it looks like 700 (drwx------) or 744 (drwxr--r--) or something like that. I think the easiest way to give all folder the full permission (777), run the following command:

Code: Select all
find /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;

This changes all folders (but not simple files) to 777 permission. You must be Admin (root) or run it via "sudo" (i dont know, if this suites for OSX, i only know Linux, but OSX should behave like a UNIX system). You may also try to replace 777 by 755 if you feel unsafe, but finally you are the only user of your Mac.
Nobbie

Re: XAMPP and NewzNab+ install on OS X

Postby RoddyJoff » 10. September 2016 17:20

Many thanks Nobbie, that worked a treat.

I’ve been pulling my hair out for days trying to fix this error.

I’ll continue and hopefully all will be well now.

Cheers.
RoddyJoff

XAMPP version: 7.0.9-0
Operating System: El Capitan 10.11.6

Return to XAMPP for macOS