Another XAMPP fail on start up.

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Another XAMPP fail on start up.

Postby rusty_spring » 13. May 2016 13:00

This must be a frequently asked question, but I've done a thorough search and nothing on this particular version of the issue comes up. Having just installed XAMPP 7.0.6-0, Apache Web Server, ProFTPD and MySQL Database are unable to start. So far, I have;

- checked to see if anything else is using port 80. Nothing is.
- killed other apps accessing the internet.
- killed any process with the text string 'httpd'.
- Turned off Bluetooth.
- Checked the logs. There are NO error logs. But when checking the system logs, I get the following message when attempting to start up any of the three messages;

13/05/2016 15:43:50.760 taskgated[295]: no signature for pid=10668 (cannot make code: UNIX[No such process])

The value of pid changes on each attempt but is always either 10*** or 11***.

This may be simple, but I'm a new user - so if anyone can help out I'd be very grateful.
rusty_spring

XAMPP version: 7.0.6-0
Operating System: OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Re: Another XAMPP fail on start up.

Postby rusty_spring » 13. May 2016 16:37

Some further updates as I keep trying to troubleshoot this.

- Changed mySql port to 3308 - no dice.

- Attempted to run Apache natively in the console using
Code: Select all
sudo apachectl start
. This returned the message
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist: service already loaded

- Ran
apachectl configtest
. returning the message
Syntax OK

- attempted to access native Apache using http://localhost - success! ('It works!')

- disabled Apache in the console using
sudo apachectl stop
. Then ran XAMPP 7.0.6-0 - again Apache Web Server fails to boot.

- Double-checked port 80 use with
netstat -anp tcp | grep :80
- nothing uses port 80.

- Changed Apache Web Server port to 8888 - still doesn't load.

Any help?
rusty_spring

Postby rusty_spring » 13. May 2016 16:42

Update 2 - I'm now getting this in the application log on startup;

Starting all servers...
Starting MySQL Database...
Starting all servers...
Starting MySQL Database...

Starting Apache Web Server...
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/apache2/scripts/ctl.sh : httpd started
Starting ProFTPD...
Checking syntax of configuration file
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/proftpd/scripts/ctl.sh : proftpd started

Starting Apache Web Server...
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/apache2/scripts/ctl.sh : httpd started
Starting ProFTPD...
Checking syntax of configuration file
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/proftpd/scripts/ctl.sh : proftpd started
Exit code:
Stdout:

Stderr:
rusty_spring

Postby tjlxndr » 14. May 2016 00:56

I am having the identical issue. Have you had any further success in resolving this?

I was trying to use MAMP Pro but it doesn't seem to want to play nice with the most recent versions of WordPress or Joomla. XAMPP at east has the FTP capability to keep up with updates. But this is not promising!
tjlxndr

Operating System: Mac OS X Version 10.11.4

Postby rusty_spring » 14. May 2016 08:21

Hey tjlxndr - no, no success resolving this at all yet. Most online troubleshooting tells you to check that nothing uses port 80, or that there isn't an alternate version of Apache running.

I'm finding that ampps runs fine, as does the native Apache platform bundled with Mac OS X. But you're right, it doesn't seem to have the range of third-party extensions that XAMPP has. I'm hoping that someone from the community can help out.

** Update **

After searching a bit more widely for 'taskgated' errors I found that it might possibly be connected to security updates in OSX 10.11:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32943275/task-for-pid-stops-working-on-os-x-10-11

System Integrity Protection
A new security policy that applies to every running process, including privileged code and code that runs out of the sandbox. The policy extends additional protections to components on disk and at run-time, only allowing system binaries to be modified by the system installer and software updates. Code injection and runtime attachments to system binaries are no longer permitted.

I don't know enough to know if there's a connection but it's the closest thing I've found. But I'm too green to know if comments like 'Apple has depreciated /etc thing, and I man taskgated' is relevant and I'm reluctant to mess around in the system files until I'm a bit more certain.
rusty_spring

Postby Bratwurstmobil » 14. May 2016 19:16

Nope, that's definitely not an FAQ, I spent nearly the whole day figuring out why neither Apache nor MySQL won't boot up. Seems like XAMPP 7.0.6 is bugged. I ended up using the old 7.0.5:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP%20Mac%20OS%20X/7.0.5/
Bratwurstmobil

XAMPP version: 7.0.5
Operating System: OS X 10.11.4

Postby crsss » 16. May 2016 23:28

After upgrading from XAMPP 7.0.5 I have the same problems. It might be a bug in the installer since all files within the folder /Applications/XAMPP/bin which follow the file php-7.0.6 alphabetically are missing, although the installation of version 7.0.6 ran successfully.
crsss

XAMPP version: 7.1.7
Operating System: macOS, Debian

Postby Cockroach » 18. May 2016 02:31

I am having the identical trouble. I have changed both the http listener & the MySQL port number. The application went nowhere but "Stopped". Bitnami would not release something like this knowing this was going to happen. It is probably uncharted waters for them & I would bet, (certainly hope), they have heard about this & working feverishly to fix it with an update to this release. Hope they come up with a fix quickly!

Thought it might have been a fault file. I downloaded XAMPP from XAMPP & SourceForge. Both report 127.9MB size. The same results. Changed HTTP & MySQL port numbers just to check. The same results. I don't know what it is, but I can assure you, something is wrong. Maybe they are looking for a special configuration I (we) need to change. Can't tell. Hope they can help us all soon!

I just completed removing XAMPP 7.0.6 (uninstall) & installing XAMPP 7.0.5! Everything starts perfectly from the application manager. MySQL is running on port 3306 & HTTP is on port 80. Nothing changed on my machine except the version of XAMPP. So, it is not the ports being used on this machine.

Something not right with XAMPP 7.0.6 for my system & some other people out here. Hope they fix it quickly.
Cockroach

XAMPP version: 7.0.6
Operating System: OS X 10.11.4

Postby clenard » 08. June 2016 01:19

Hi everyone. I came to the same conclusion as everyone else and this issue is still happening with the latest download. Hopefully this is rectified soon.
clenard

XAMPP version: 7.0.6
Operating System: OSX 10.11

Postby conradomd » 12. June 2016 06:11

Same here, 7.0.6 dosn't start but 7.0.5 yes! Tks Cockroach!
conradomd

XAMPP version: 5.6.11
Operating System: OS X 10.11.5

Postby scunio » 20. June 2016 19:50

Same here. Start servers but stopped immediately. No error logs.

Have uninstalled and will try the 7.05 link now.

Thanks!
Steve
scunio

XAMPP version: 7.06
Operating System: Mac OSX

Postby Marbles » 13. August 2016 00:41

I see this is an old discussion, but an update might be in order. I use XAMPP with great success on Windows, so when a friend wanted to put up a local development environment for WordPress, I volunteered to help him out. What a shock! We spend an entire day chasing down one weird issue after another. After finally getting the database, webserver, and WordPress working well, we logged out and took a break. After the break, we couldn't even start the database. What!?!?

In desperation, I suggested we just give MAMP a go. So we abandoned our XAMPP installation, and downloaded MAMP. It probably took less than 20 minutes to not only install the stack, but to install Wordpress and load up our theme and plug-in files. Incredible difference. And XAMPP is so good on Windows ... !!!

What seemed particularly troubling to me is that I found many, many reports of the very same issues we were having going back six years on various forums. All that is to say, if you stumble across this post trying to get a stable XAMPP installation on OS X, my advice is to cut your losses and jump to MAMP. It was just so easy that way.

And yet, XAMPP has been so good to me on Windows. It's really hard to guess why these installation issues haven't been addressed after all this time.
Marbles

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows & Ubuntu Linux

Return to XAMPP for macOS