Cannot change TMPDIR to another location

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Cannot change TMPDIR to another location

Postby vipersonic » 22. June 2015 11:13

Hi all,

I've recently noticed a table in mySQL server taking up lots of disk space(90+G) and wish to optimise it to make it perform better. However, my current partition isn't big enough to accommodate the temporary files which will be created during the optimisation, so I wish to move the tmpdir, which stores the temp files, to an external hard disk. I'm on a Mac, so I went to where XAMPP was installed: /Applications/XAMPP/xampppfiles/etc/ and location the example my.cnf file. I copied it out to my desktop, edited the tmpdir path to my external hard disk, and deposited this file into /etc/ as instructed by the file to set "global options". I then restarted my computer and launched the mySQL server, then went ahead to do the optimisation, but noticed that the same thing happened before, that the main hard drive was filling up on space really quickly thanks to the temp files. Please help. Thanks.
vipersonic

Operating System: OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

Re: Cannot change TMPDIR to another location

Postby Nobbie » 22. June 2015 20:54

vipersonic wrote: /etc/ as instructed by the file to set "global options".

I dont think, this works for Xampp. Simply put a copy also to .../xamppfiles/etc and try again.

You may also try to set the environmet TMP and/or TEMP variables to a different location, and finally (if nothing works) you also can replace the current TMPDIR (whereever it is) by a symbolic link to an external hard disk.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS