Can not get Xdebug to work

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can not get Xdebug to work

Postby tatmaninov » 03. May 2015 10:36

My situation is as follows;

I am running Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, have recently installed XAMPP 5.6.8 and also using Eclipse for PHP Developers Luna Service Release 2 (4.4.2) as my PDT tool.
I have the XAMPP server up and running fine and create and execute basic PHP code. I have run into trouble when I try and install/activate a debug program.

I am trying with Xdebug, and have scoured lots of different forums and youtube videos to try and solve my problem but I just can not get it to work. One thing most of the posts I have found have in common is that they assume my php.ini file will have some reference to Xdebug already but mine does not have a single mention of it.

I am very new to php so I guess I am missing something simple, but really need some step by step advice of how to get this working. Or perhaps they are not compatible and you may advise me to use a different debug facility.

The potentially most helpful page I found was the Xdebug wizard where it gave me tailored instructions, but I have really struggled to put these into practice mainly because of my lack of experience/knowledge. For example;

The instructions start off like this;
1.Download xdebug-2.3.2.tgz
2.Unpack the downloaded file with tar -xvzf xdebug-2.3.2.tgz
3.Run: cd xdebug-2.3.2
4.Run: phpize (See the FAQ if you don't have phpize.

The questions I ask myself are as follows. When it says unpack the file, where do I unpack it to? When it says run how do I run it (I assume in terminal, but not sure how to do this). I also notice when I download the file I have a .tar file extension, not a .tgz as the instructions seem to suggest.

I know probably everything I have said above screams out inexperience and you would be right, but this is the best way to learn and I really hope one of you can help me.

What I am hoping to receive back in response is one of the following;

- Advice that what I am trying to do is impossible and I should be using other programs as XAMPP, Xdebug & Eclipse are not comaptible
- Step by step instructions to help me through this problem
- or a link to resource that may be able to help. But please note I have already scoured lots of different sources before making this post and none of them seem to bear any resemblance to my specific situation e.g. my above comment about the differences in php.ini file..

Any guidance/advice would be much appreciated.

For reference my XAMPP is installed as follows /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/ then have the bin, etc and other folders stored here.
tatmaninov

Operating System: Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Re: Can not get Xdebug to work

Postby ecramer » 07. May 2015 19:55

I think Xdebug is already compiled and installed with this version. Look for files in this directory:
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/

If Xdebug is available, you should see these files:
Code: Select all
mssql.a
mssql.so
oci8.a
oci8.so
opcache.a
opcache.so
pdo_dblib.a
pdo_dblib.so
pgsql.a
pgsql.so
radius.so
xdebug.so

If the files are there, add these lines to the end of your php.ini (/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/etc/php.ini)
Code: Select all
zend_extension="/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20131226/xdebug.so"
xdebug.remote_enable=On
xdebug.remote_host=localhost
xdebug.remote_port=9000
xdebug.remote_handler=dbgp
xdebug.collect_params=1
xdebug.collect_var=1
xdebug.collect_return=1

This should work for other XAMPP versions that have Xdebug installed, but the 'no-debug-non-zts....' folder name might be different.

As far as the rest of my setup:
Mac OS 10.10.3
Eclipse Kepler SR2
Firefox 37.0.2 w/ "easy Xdebug (with moveable icon)" plugin by windwerfer

I've had this working with various versions of XAMPP, Eclipse and Firefox for the last few years. (Windows and Linux too.) It's definitely worth the effort to set it up.
ecramer

Operating System: Mac OS 10.10

Re: Can not get Xdebug to work

Postby tatmaninov » 08. May 2015 13:29

Hi Ecramer

I followed your instructions, and it seems to have done the trick and is all working.

Really appreciate the reply and support.

Many thanks
tatmaninov

Operating System: Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Return to XAMPP for macOS