Where place SiteWeb with xamp

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Where place SiteWeb with xamp

Postby J889 » 12. January 2015 09:26

Hello,

I just install xamp 5.6.3 on OSX 10.8.5 in local
I would like to know several things :

1- Where to place website (which folder) to watch correctly work in safari ?

2 - While the installation there are questions like

XAMPP: MySQL is accessable via network.
XAMPP: Normaly that's not recommended. Do you want me to turn it off? [yes] yes - Why is it recommended to turn it off ?

XAMPP: The FTP password for user 'daemon' is still set to 'xampp'. What it is for ?
XAMPP: Do you want to change the password? [yes] no

Thank you
J889

Operating System: MAC OS 10.8.5

Re: Where place SiteWeb with xamp

Postby Nobbie » 12. January 2015 23:15

J889 wrote:1- Where to place website (which folder) to watch correctly work in safari ?

First of all: Xampp is only a distribution, it is set of different software products. One of these is Apache, a webserver software. As for each software, if you like to use a software: you have to read the documentation. Apaches standard folder for your documents is called "DocumentRoot", the main configuration file for Apache is called "httpd.conf". As i dont know the OSX version of Xampp, i dont know the default configuration. You have to edit httpd.conf and look for the value of "DocumentRoot", that is the folder you are looking for.

J889 wrote:XAMPP: MySQL is accessable via network.
XAMPP: Normaly that's not recommended. Do you want me to turn it off? [yes] yes - Why is it recommended to turn it off ?

Because the Xampp installation does not know anything about your environment, and it may be security issue, when you run a Database in a wide open and large LAN. This depends on you and your environment.

J889 wrote:XAMPP: The FTP password for user 'daemon' is still set to 'xampp'. What it is for ?

That is for the FTP Server which comes as well with Xampp. Many software products require an FTP server (Wordpress for example) and you have to tell Xampp, which User and Password should be used for this FTP Server. Again: Xampp is a distribution only, it is mix of different software products. You should learn about FTP as well about Apache etc. if you like to use it. The Xampp installation tries to make installation as simple as possible, but still running a webserver with many different server products is a highly sophisticated task.
Nobbie

Re: Where place SiteWeb with xamp

Postby J889 » 13. January 2015 03:20

Thank you for these answers.
J889

Operating System: MAC OS 10.8.5

Return to XAMPP for macOS