This Application Requires Admin Privileges

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

This Application Requires Admin Privileges

Postby sharingsunshine » 09. December 2014 13:36

Hello,

This is my first time to use XAMPP and I am trying to get the XAMPP application to run and it was working fine and now a few days later we get the message "This Application Requires Admin Privileges." As far as I know, I am logging in as the admin. I am using the normal login I use all the time.

The user I am logged in as is an administrator so that's why I am confused about this message. Please help me get this going.

Thanks,

Randal
sharingsunshine

Operating System: OS X 10.9.5

Re: This Application Requires Admin Privileges

Postby Nobbie » 09. December 2014 14:44

sharingsunshine wrote:The user I am logged in as is an administrator

Are you sure?? OSX is an UNIX Based System and usually there is only one real Adminuser and it is called "root". Instead you may log in as a normal user, and if you require to run a certain process (or program) with full Administration rights, you have to prepend the "sudo" command to your programm.
Nobbie

Postby sharingsunshine » 09. December 2014 16:50

thanks for the reply. However, I know how to do sudo and command line but don't know how to do it clicking on the icon for Xampp in the dock. Should I be running this from the command line? If so, how do you do that?

When I installed it using the icon it worked great and I was able to do many things with it. So not sure what has changed? I had jiust logged in as the user that has the title "Admin" underneath that user listing. Perhaps there is a different terminology being used in system preferences.

So please help me sort this out so I can get on to building my development system.

Thanks,
sharingsunshine

Operating System: OS X 10.9.5

Postby Nobbie » 09. December 2014 22:20

Sorry, but i do not have an OSX PC here and i cannot answer your questions. I would find it out if i had an Apple PC, but without it is impossible.

Under Windows there is a possibilty to right-click a program and choose "run with administration rights", but i have no idea, if there is something similar for OSX.
Nobbie

Postby JJ_Tagy » 09. December 2014 23:14

Maybe the program was installed as root with ownership? Try changing ownership or group?
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Return to XAMPP for macOS