Missing basic installation instructions for Mac OS

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Missing basic installation instructions for Mac OS

Postby teo8976 » 15. November 2014 14:08

I see XAMPP's home page has been change recently (or some time ago).

I seem to remember the old one included somewhat complete installation instructions for Mac OSX (as well as other OSes).
Now there are no installation instructions at all, just download links. It would be great if that was the only thing one needed, but that's not the case.
I don't see any mention of how to tweak the permissions of the htdocs folder so as to avoid errors like this:
Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/whatever/index.php' (include_path='.:/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0.

If permissions cannot be set by default by the installer in such a way that XAMPP will work out of the box for a normal user by creating subfolder within htdocs and dropping files into them, then instructions about configuring correct permissions for the htdocs folder should be an ESSENTIAL part of the installation instructions. A user should be able to download XAMPP, follow some simple instructions found in the same page where s/he downloaded it from (if needed at all), and have it working out of the box. Not get stuck with dumb file permissions issues and have to figure them out by searching the community forum.

I see there's a FAQ section where this should be the nº1 FAQ, and it's not even mentioned.

I know how to fix the issue and I know there are probably plenty of posts in the forum (and perhaps Stack Overflow) explaining that. However, that should be explained in the very download page, or the need for any tweaking should be removed.
teo8976

Operating System: Linux, Mac OS, Windows

Return to XAMPP for macOS