Lost website files when installing xampp via desktopserver

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Lost website files when installing xampp via desktopserver

Postby Thorpey1986 » 23. May 2014 10:24

Hi there,

I already had a version of xampp running on my mac with multiple websites files saved in the htdocs.

I decided to install desktopserver as I had heard good things about it, but during the install it has erased all my existing htdocs.

Is there anyway to retrieve the website files?

These are all test projects and I do not have them uploaded to a server anywhere on the web. They are solely on my local machine.

Please help :(
Thorpey1986

Operating System: Mac OSX 10.7.5

Re: Lost website files when installing xampp via desktopserv

Postby Nobbie » 23. May 2014 14:35

Thorpey1986 wrote:I decided to install desktopserver as I had heard good things about it, but during the install it has erased all my existing htdocs.

Really "erased" or eventually moved them somewhere else?

Thorpey1986 wrote:Is there anyway to retrieve the website files?

If did not backup the files (i can tell it all day long "make backups, make backups, make backups" but people always go to learn it the hard way) and they really have been erased, usually all your files are gone. You may be a lucky guy, if this last escape works for you: http://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Accident ... es-in-OS-X

But that depends on the total size etc. of the files.

And next time, make backups (especially before installing new software with such impact).
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS