No data received error

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: No data received error

Postby Nobbie » 05. February 2014 22:23

webeno wrote:if that's possible or recommended at all?

Of course you may use VirtualBox. But (honestly), I would buy a cheap desktop at Ebay and run a dedicated server there. I dont know, where you live, but in Germany you will get "second hand PCs" for 50,-€ or less. Linux does not require modern hardware, many distributions are running flawlessly on old hardware environments. A linux testserver does (by far) not require hardware ressources like Windows or OSX.

An old Pentium III (or similar) with 1Gb RAM (even 512MB will do it) and a 50GB HDD is Ok.
Nobbie

Postby webeno » 05. February 2014 22:35

I just can't get my head around how I would write website code with it. I'm developing an online app and I'm the type of guy who likes apps that have a nice gui... so, if I wanted to write PHP code for example, I'd have to do that on that second hand PC, not on my mac that I like doing it on... plus I already have a laptop, a monitor next to it, then my huge mac... where do I put that PC? :)
webeno

Operating System: OS X 10.9

Postby webeno » 13. February 2014 15:37

Well, I did try virtualbox, and it was a pain - mind you, I'm an absolute beginner on linux but after installing debian, i just couldn't make it to share files...

Finally I ended up downloading MAMP and it just runs super! ;)
webeno

Operating System: OS X 10.9

Previous

Return to XAMPP for macOS