Can't run on Mavericks — "32 bit only"

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't run on Mavericks — "32 bit only"

Postby spookybathtub » 23. October 2013 11:27

I installed XAMPP 1.8.2 on OS 10.9 Mavericks, and it ran fine at first. But after rebooting the machine once, I can't get it to load. The manager-osx GUI fails with no warnings. The command line gives the following error:
Code: Select all
$ ./xampp status
./xampp: line 420: 21619 Trace/BPT trap: 5       $XAMPP_ROOT/bin/php -v > /dev/null 2>&1
XAMPP is currently only availably as 32 bit application. Please use a 32 bit compatibility library for your system.

Why is this happening? I never had this problem with 10.8 Mountain Lion, which is also a 64 bit OS.
spookybathtub

XAMPP version: 5.6.33
Operating System: 10.13.4

Re: Can't run on Mavericks — "32 bit only"

Postby ajack01 » 25. October 2013 10:43

XAMPP Verison: 1.8.2 or 1.8.3

I'm about to upgrade to Mavericks as well from Mountain Lion. "spookybathtub" have you manage to get XAMPP working? I notice that you can download and install either 1.8.2 or 1.8.3 (1.8.3 being a more up to date version of PHP).

Has anyone installed XAMPP on Mavericks and got it working?
ajack01

Operating System: Mac OS X (Mavericks)

Postby spookybathtub » 25. October 2013 16:04

I forgot to follow up post - I actually got it to work simply be reinstalling. Weird.
spookybathtub

Postby kronmayer » 27. October 2013 22:00

Hi all,
today upgraded to Mavericks and faced a problem too - a mysqld also does not start. Version of XAMPP is 1.8.2. Console start command gives 'XAMPP: Starting MySQL...ok.', however, further status check displays that it's actually not working. I also checked logs -- nothing that refers to errors (perhaps I cannot recognize).

Can please someone advice how to detect where the problem is?
kronmayer

Operating System: OS X Mavericks

Postby spookybathtub » 28. October 2013 06:54

Can you post your log file here?
spookybathtub

Postby bowie1304 » 29. October 2013 07:55

Hi All, I also was faced with that problem but 32Bit ? no.
After a couple of installations now it run, but by the moment I did not know who long, because I faced something that where I'm thinking that it is a result of Apple's new Tehnolgie of freeing up Memory and compressing it. The first time I installed 1.8.3 Every thing starts fine MYSQL and Apache, but Inot all of my tables could be accessed. When I'm trying to open a shown table on this database, a message appears that this table is not present. So I killed all the tables but it doesn't help. I installed XAMPP several time without any success. In the passed I used a windows PC Where it was quit easy and as it was in 1.7.3 download unzip and run or use the installation package. It doesn't matter. Every time I was asked for a user and password for MySQL, but not so in 1.8.3 on OSX Maverick. After doubleclicking the DMG file i Had to use the control key to open it but than it begins installation. After it was ready I startet XAMpP as statet and cheked the status but MYSQL was not runing. I starte manager-OSX and tried to run MYSQL it started and than after a whil it shows that it was stopped again. I remembered that there was a need to fill in the user and his pasword in a configruration file. I entered it in Config.inc.php and than I could start phpmyadmin. Ichecked the database and it was showoing the tables brought in with XAMPP. Bitnami is presenting JOOMLA, and so I took this version and installed it but did never find the installation where it was installed. I expected it in htdocs where it has to run in fact of the Pages to be used. I saw the tables in the database but not the admistrator entry nothing. So I installed JOOMLA by myself in the HTDOCS directory installed it and run it. Till this moment everything was fine. No I left for a couple of hours, and turned byck after 8 hours. Now I want to start my worki with Joomla but it didn't work. I checked phpmyadmin but mysql couldn't be connected.
I checked manager-osx but MYSQL was stopped. Now I tried to restart it but nothing helps. It was 01:20 in the night after I give up, and retried it on the morning. Surprise Surprise it starts again. But again the tabeles wher shown in phpmyadmin but could not be accessed. The log files did not show anything. So I removed again all and reinstalled it. Again entering the MYsql User and Password and it run. Again installing JOOMLA on my own and it works fine. Stooped MYSQL restarted it stopped it and restarted it again. It works till now.
What I can't say, i sthat what happens if the mac is going into sleep, if it than happens again that MYSQL stops working but. I will Check this.

Fazit on all that. The Bitnami installation isn't as complet as expected, there is missing the installation of mysql with user and password, Joomla as well could not be found in XAMPP when installed but it semms to be present.

So I'm expecting a new version 1.8.3.x as an zip installation as under Windows. And thinking that this will solve a couple of problems, because 1.7.x works better then the installation version.
bowie1304

Operating System: MAC OSX 10.9 Maverick

Return to XAMPP for macOS