Can't remove XAMPP.. Still running, but CP gone

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't remove XAMPP.. Still running, but CP gone

Postby Sirlazer2 » 08. February 2013 09:36

Hi, i tried to delete XAMPP without stopping the service first, this resulted in the service running no matter what i do, and i can't delete the remaining files in the trash, because they are in use..

I have the XamppFiles left, so no controle panel or anything in the trash, so i have no idea how to stop and delete this.
Sorry if i am a but confusing, just ask away if theres any questions :)

Thanks in advance.
Sirlazer2

Operating System: Mac OSX

Re: Can't remove XAMPP.. Still running, but CP gone

Postby antoniomax » 14. February 2013 00:17

Check ~/Library/Services (the Library in your home folder) and /System/Library/Services (or /Library/Services) for any files related to xampp and erase 'em.

Also, as you mention you can't remove the files from the trash, your trash might have gone corrupt, so check this procedure I found on google, it will help you:

First: Try quitting all apps to release the file lock or permissions, then attempt to Secure Empty Trash by holding down the Command key and right-clicking the Trash icon. If that doesn’t work, proceed with the methods outlined below.

Change Permissions To Forcibly Empty Trash
The first approach uses the chflags command to change the flags of all files in the Trash

Launch Terminal found in /Applications/Utilities/ and then proceed:

Code: Select all
cd ~/.Trash

chflags -R nouchg *

Now you can try emptying the Trash as usual through the Dock, or go the rm route mentioned below.

Advanced: Forcibly Emptying the Trash via Command Line
This is a last resort and intended only for advanced users. Make sure the syntax is correct with this, the “sudo rm -rf” command will erase anything without warning. If you don’t know what you’re doing you could easily delete crucial system or personal files. Have backups ready or don’t bother with this method, proceed at your own risk.

First change the directory to Trash:

cd ~/.Trash

Confirm you are in the proper directory and the only files you see are the ones you want to forcibly remove by using ls:

ls

Now try to delete the specific file:

rm filename.jpg

If that still doesn’t work you can try the ultimate delete approach using sudo and -rf *. This is intentionally not spelled out easily to try and prevent any novice users from accidentally deleting something significant.

Using sudo requires the administrator password but combined with rm it will absolutely forcibly remove any file regardless of whats going on with it.
antoniomax

Return to XAMPP for macOS