Modify source for AES_ENCRYPT encode w/ 256-bit key length

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Modify source for AES_ENCRYPT encode w/ 256-bit key length

Postby sttarneyiat » 14. August 2012 21:24

In short, I need to change the AES_ENCRYPT and AES_DECRYPT functions to encode with a 256 bit key length on the local host to mirror the live
site as the hosting company already made the modification to the live server, but I need to know how to modify this setting (preferably step
by step instructions)?

So I have XAMPP Version 1.7.3 running on a Mac OSX version 10.8. The issue I am running into is I had the hosting company modify the
AES_ENCRYPT default encryption from the default 128 bit to 256 bit. So when pulling information from the database, it is returning a bunch of
NULL values or garbage characters which can be expected if the encryption and decryption are different. It is returning this both
within the php pages hosted on my local host as well as if I enter the query directly into the myphpAdmin site.

So according to 12.13. Encryption and Compression Functions on http://dev.mysql.com/ the AES_ENCRYPT: "Encoding with a 128-bit key
length is used, but you can extend it up to 256 bits by modifying the source."
There are no further instructions available on how to recompile
and ensure I make this modification.

Here is some information for both the live server and my local machine instance of XAMPP information as reported by the myphpAdmin. Thanks.

Live Server information:
Server version: 5.5.18
Protocol version: 10
Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
phpMyAdmin - 2.11.9.5
MySQL client version: 5.0.67
Used PHP extensions: mysql

My Localhost Information:
Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
Server version: 5.1.44
Protocol version: 10