Error Starting MYSQL

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Error Starting MYSQL

Postby kenoli » 04. November 2011 17:50

I have been using XAMPP for years and just upgraded to Mac OSX Lion 10.7.3.

I just re-downloaded XAMPP.

I can start Apache from the XAMPP control but when I try to start mysql I get the error:

The operation couldn't be completed.

XAMPP ErrorDomain error 1

Any ideas about what this means?

--Kenoli
kenoli

Re: Error Starting MYSQL

Postby JonB » 04. November 2011 20:25

Read these tips:

viewtopic.php?p=166399

I'm not 100% sure, as I have no Mac to test on, BUT the logic to me (as a systems engineer) sounds right.

Same 'kind of error' different cause
http://superuser.com/questions/80389/xa ... -data-dirs

Good Luck
8)

I'm going to see if I can get a clarification

JonB - The Server Geek Check out The Excruciatingly Correct Guide for XAMPP 'Quick Guides' and FAQ's
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby kenoli » 05. November 2011 06:38

That is an interesting possibility. I did reformat the drive when I installed Lion. At this point, it would be a huge task to do it again. I am trying to remember how I reformatted it, I think I formatted it in case insensitive mode but can't be sure. I just tried saving a file into a directory with the name "Test.rtf". When I then tried to save a file in the same directory with the name "test.rtf" the system told me there was already a file with that name in the directory. This would lead me to believe that I formatted it with case insensitivity. If I understand things correctly, a case sensitive format would allow both to be saved.

I did try a few things. I changed the permissions per one of your posts. I also tried changing the case of the xampp directory and the paths in the mysql.server file so they were all lowercase to see what would happen.

No change with either of these. mysql fails to start.

Another interesting fact. I decided to install MAMP and got the same result I did with XAMPP. Apache and php will start up but mysql will not.

It would be a big trick if something different was causing this from what is causing mysql to fail to start in XAMPP.

This is discouraging. As did many, I went through hell trying to install mysql myself and rejoiced when I found XAMPP. If it doesn't work now . . . arghhhh!

--Kenoli
kenoli

Postby kenoli » 05. November 2011 16:49

Actually, I tried something else that may indicate that my drive is formatted with case sensitivity. I tried copying a file with the same name but different case into a directory with a file that already had that name and was asked by the finder if I wanted to allow both files to keep both files. Sure enough it allowed it and now both files show up in that directory with the same spelling but different cases.

I am tempted to try the reformat root, even though we are talking hours of work reinstalling files and software, though I would like more assurance that this would really solve the problem before making this investment. I guess I could try it on an empty drive as a test.

--Kenoli
kenoli

Return to XAMPP for macOS