Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby Lankidden » 06. August 2010 12:03

I apologise for my questions but I am coming to XAMPP and phpBB from a zero knowledge base, although I have been a Mac user for many years.

Question 1. XAMPP appears to include MySQL. How do I create and name a new MySQL database?
Question 2. There is a warning that XAMPP as installed is not secure and that this command </Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp security> should be entered. How? I assume via Terminal, bur I have little or no experience of working with Terminal
Question 3. How do I rename "The MySQL administrator (root)" and create a password?
Question 4. Am I also correct in assuming that the "Start & Stop" parameters are also Terminal commands.

As I said, please excuse such base ignorance, but we all have to start somewhere.

Many thanks

Neil Carter
Oxford UK
Lankidden

Re: Newbie

Postby lindon » 08. August 2010 18:35

Question 1. XAMPP appears to include MySQL. How do I create and name a new MySQL database?

Go to the phpMyAdmin link on the xampp main page (or localhost/phpmyadmin). phpMyAdmin is the php-based interface to the MySQL database.

Question 2. There is a warning that XAMPP as installed is not secure and that this command </Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp security> should be entered. How? I assume via Terminal, bur I have little or no experience of working with Terminal

Yes, through the Terminal. Probably need to type "sudo " in front so the whole command is: sudo /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp security

Question 3. How do I rename "The MySQL administrator (root)" and create a password?

Best bet is to create a new user and password to associate with the database. Go to same phpMyAdmin page above and click on Privileges tab and add anew user.

Question 4. Am I also correct in assuming that the "Start & Stop" parameters are also Terminal commands.

Yes, same as above except "stop" or "start" at the end instead of "security"

we all have to start somewhere.

Certainly right about that! No apologies necessary.
Regards,
lindon
lindon

Return to XAMPP for macOS