Locked out of phpMyAdmin

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Locked out of phpMyAdmin

Postby varia101 » 08. July 2010 10:36

I'm running XAMPP for MAC 1.7.3. I've been running into problems ever since I decided to remove the root password from the phpMyAdmin GUI. After that, loading http://localhost/phpmyadmin returns an error message that the "config.inc.php" file cannot be found. The "config.inc.php" file was fine before but now is empty, i.e.0KB.

I re-created a new "config.inc.php" from "config.sample.inc.php".
In order to set new passwords, I then executed XAMPP security from the Terminal:

cd /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles
sudo ./xampp security

The problem is that XAMPP security always prompts me to change 2 things:
1) XAMPP password
2) ProFTPD password.
But never prompts me for the MySql password or phpMyAdmin password.

I'm lost. I'm trying to set passwords for MySql and phpMyAdmin. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
varia101

Re: Locked out of phpMyAdmin

Postby varia101 » 08. July 2010 13:10

Ok the good news is after stopping - restarting Apache and MySql, I am able to login into phpMyAdmin.

Also, I now understand that changing the phpMyAdmin password from the GUI itself - from the homepage - only changes the password for username=root for phpMyAdmin only. It does not change the root password for MySql.

In the end, that's what I'm trying to do: changing the root password for MySql. Pointers welcome.
varia101

Postby shailens » 11. July 2010 10:48

I have the same question. After setting the same password for everything in ./lampp security, I cannot log into phpmyadmin. I have tried the same password for username root, lampp, pma, and my own username. No luck.

i am locked. I cannot use phpmyadmin, and I cannot access mysql.

./lampp security is a super awesome cool thing. But, how do I remove the security. At the moment, I am developing, and I do not need any security. Security is simply annoying right now.

How is it possible to remove ALL xampp security, without having to uninstall the program?
shailens

Postby MegaChriz » 12. July 2010 12:07

Not sure how you can undone all the XAMPP security, but you should get access to phpMyAdmin if you change the config-file of phpMyAdmin.

Make sure the following lines are in the config-file:
Code: Select all
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPasswordRoot'] = true;

It's possible that you may not edit the config-file. In this case, change the permissions of both the phpmyadminfolder as the config-file. To change the permissions:
1. select the folder/file in Finder.
2. Choose 'Get info' from the File-menu. A window appears go to the bottom of the window where you can read 'Sharing & Permissions'.
3. Click on the plus-icon. If the plus icon is locked, click on the locker icon (bottom right) to unlock it. You need to give the password of the administrator account of your Mac.
4. In the window that appears, choose yourself from the list.
5. Give yourself 'Read & Write' permissions.

You should be able to edit the config-file now. If not, copy the config-file to your desktop, edit the file and set back the config-file. You will need to give the password of the administrator account of your Mac.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Return to XAMPP for macOS