Phonebook example

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Phonebook example

Postby memilanuk » 14. June 2010 07:19

Hello,

I have some questions regarding the phonebook.php example on the XAMPP admin/control page.

1) What are all the $TEXT blurbs referencing? Example:

Code: Select all
<h2><?=$TEXT['phonebook-head1']?></h2>

I'm assuming they are grabbing the value for the variable from somewhere... but I'm not seeing where they are getting it from?

2) I tried opening the phonebook.sqlite database in SQLiteManager add-on for Firefox, but got nothing. Thinking it might be a file permission issue I used sudo -i to change to root, changed to the appropriate directory, and ran 'sqlite3 phonebook.sqlite', but I couldn't get anything out of it; sqlite said the file was either encrypted or not a sqlite file?

TIA,

Monte
memilanuk

Re: Phonebook example

Postby memilanuk » 14. June 2010 07:29

Never mind about the variables - found it.
I'd seen the line:

Code: Select all
<? include("langsettings.php"); ?>

at the very beginning of the file, but it didn't seem like the place to stash global variables for things like headers and field names in forms - now looking back it probably would be since they would be different depending on what language is being used.

Still wondering why I can't get anything out of the sqlite file...?
memilanuk

Postby memilanuk » 15. June 2010 05:00

Helloooo?
memilanuk

Postby memilanuk » 03. September 2010 06:05

BTT....

C'mon. Somebody has to know something about this blasted sqlite file?
memilanuk

Postby memilanuk » 03. September 2010 18:13

Well, seems I may have found something. Basically got frustrated with the extreme lack of response here, and started digging thru other resources.

Specifically I found this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1513849/error-file-is-encrypted-or-is-not-a-database and this http://us3.php.net/manual/en/book.sqlite.php#91488.

Just a preliminary guess, but it looks like the developers didn't use the PDO access method, but the older method... which creates (for whatever reason) sqlite *2* databases, not *3*.
memilanuk

Postby MegaChriz » 18. September 2010 08:21

The $TEXT texts are not in the sqlite database, but can be found in the 'lang' directory. If your language is english, you will find the texts here:
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/lang/en.php
Look near the end of the file.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby memilanuk » 18. September 2010 14:46

Read a couple posts up... found that a while back.

Thanks,

Monte
memilanuk

Postby MegaChriz » 20. September 2010 07:25

Sorry, I might have misinterpreted it. I had assumed that you were still looking for those variables in the sqlite database.
As for the sqlite database problems, I'm afraid I can't help you, because I have never used sqlite.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Return to XAMPP for macOS