XAMPP using php sendmail (or postfix or anything)

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP using php sendmail (or postfix or anything)

Postby pSouper » 22. December 2009 12:03

Hi all,
I am sure it's entirely possible to send mail form a localhost imac (development box) but I can't get past the errors... 'ERROR: Could not instantiate mail function.'
II have uploaded the same code to a linux box (remotely hosted server) without a problem.

The code in question works with both mail & smtp connection type on the linux box but neither on my local imac osx running xampp.

is there any php.ini or xammp setting or services I need to be using to achieve both mail and smtp delivery from my local imac?

any help here would be most gratefully appreciated.
pSouper

Re: XAMPP using php sendmail (or postfix or anything)

Postby Wiedmann » 22. December 2009 12:18

is there any php.ini or xammp setting or services I need to be using to achieve both mail and smtp delivery from my local imac?

No.

regarding mail:
In this case PHP is using a local sendmail for sending mail. Thus you have to configure sendmail in you imac.

regarding smtp:
You must configure your script with valid data for a smtp server, e.g. a SMTP server from your isp, or a SMTP server you have installed locally like sendmail.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby pSouper » 22. December 2009 12:35

thanks for the speeeedy reply W.
I will look at sendmail configuration - Thanks for the heads up.

...the SMTP problem may be connected with anti-mail relay protection on my remote server (just a hunch).

pSouper
pSouper

[SOLVED] Re: XAMPP using php sendmail (or postfix or anythin

Postby pSouper » 22. December 2009 14:27

SOLVED: I have 127.0.01 in my hosts file instead of 127.0.0.1 - tiny error, big mistake.
thanks W for the advice - it helped me search and find the solution.
pSouper

Postby robinbolt » 02. December 2010 07:06

this is useful information for me as i am a new student of PHP and in a learning process .. please post more information if you have related to it thanks...
robinbolt

Return to XAMPP for macOS