Licensing, bundling and disabling

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Licensing, bundling and disabling

Postby williamd » 20. October 2009 02:06

Hey everybody!

I've been using XAMPP for a while on both Linux and Mac computers with great success. I recently got the questions if it's possible to customize the XAMPP package and create a zip with a certain project as the default content in htdocs.

This leads me to ask the following questions;

- Is it possible under the license to add/remove modules/libraries/binaries such as ProFTP and MySQL?
- If so, how would I remove, for example, MySQL from the bundle all together?
- Is it OK to strip out most of the XAMPP related parts such as the XAMPP Control?
- Is it OK to rename the package (i.e. the folder XAMPP gets another
- Given that all the licenses are bundled as is, are there any other licensing aspects that I should be aware of?
- If certain modules/libraries/binaries are removed, will this require a re-compile of PHP etc?

Basically, it should be a stripped bundle that only needs PHP and SQLite with a certain web application. I am very picky on giving credit where credit is due, so it's not a question of hiding the fact that it's Apache Friends work that's behind it - on the contrary. I would just need a slimmer package to distribute under a different name, if that's possible.

I would really appreciate any ideas, hints and pointers you guys can give me!

Cheers
williamd

Re: Licensing, bundling and disabling

Postby kleinweby » 20. October 2009 14:51

Hey williamd,

williamd wrote:- Is it possible under the license to add/remove modules/libraries/binaries such as ProFTP and MySQL?

Yep, btw. XAMPP is licensed under GPL.
williamd wrote:- If so, how would I remove, for example, MySQL from the bundle all together?

Well, in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfies/share/xampp/rights.d should a file called mysql.rights or something like that. It contains the files which are from MySQL this can you use to remove it. But I didn't tested it nor recommend it.
williamd wrote:- Is it OK to strip out most of the XAMPP related parts such as the XAMPP Control?

Yes, why not? ;)
williamd wrote:- Is it OK to rename the package (i.e. the folder XAMPP gets another

It would Be ok. But due some technical problems it is Not possible.
williamd wrote:
- Given that all the licenses are bundled as is, are there any other licensing aspects that I should be aware of?

Well, please note somewhere that this is XAMPP von Apache Friends and also Note that is Not the orginal Version of us. Also please alter the intern Version of XAMPP in xamppfiles/lib/VERSION.
williamd wrote:- If certain modules/libraries/binaries are removed, will this require a re-compile of PHP etc?

It depends a lot on what you remove.

Greetings,
kleinweby
kleinweby
AF Moderator

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7

Return to XAMPP for macOS