"xampp security" passwords forgotten & general server advice

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

"xampp security" passwords forgotten & general server advice

Postby MattK » 13. September 2009 05:56

First-time XAMPP user, using latest version of xampp off your site, using fully updated Leopard (10.5.8) on a PPC Mac mini.

I run the command "sudo /Applications/XAMPP/xampp security" and the wizard comes up... I go through it, answering questions etc. and giving passwords, but then when I check the "Security" page on http://localhost/xampp/ it tells me that it's not secure. The xampp password is working fine, and the MySQL-no-network-access setting is working fine, but the PHPMyAdmin/MySQL-root/FTP-nobody passwords just don't "stick." I've run the wizard again and again, sometimes with XAMPP running, sometimes with it not running, but the passwords are always forgotten! It does through up an error relating to MySQL syntax, which could explain the MySQL root password, but that wouldn't explain the PHPMyAdmin/FTP passwords being forgotten.

If this affects it, I had previously installed a MySQL package (the latest off the official MySQL site) before I learnt about XAMPP, and I have no idea how to uninstall that / where it puts all its files, but I thought the XAMPP files were completely separate from anything else in the OS (e.g. the default apache install).

Any help would be very much appreciated. :)

--- --- ---

[As an aside, I'm fairly new to webservers generally, and I want to set up a secure blog so my plan was to set up blog software locally, and then set up a cron job to wget the blog and produce a static HTML version of it, and have that static HTML version be the only version actually accessible by the internet (thereby not exposing PHP/MySQL and reducing the ways the server could be exploited). After all the WordPress problems recently, that *seemed* to be the best way to do it. As I said, I've never really run a webserver before: is this a stupid way of doing it? Is there a better way?]
MattK

Re: "xampp security" passwords forgotten & general server advice

Postby braddmark » 13. September 2009 14:52

I guess if that is always happening you might have some problem with your mysql or maybe with some sql you are running.
braddmark

Re: "xampp security" passwords forgotten & general server advice

Postby MattK » 13. September 2009 20:33

Ah, nothing to do with the MySQL... as I thought, it didn't affect it. Turns out it just didn't like special characters in the passwords I was using? Alphanumeric passwords worked for the phpMyAdmin/MySQL but the FTP password still isn't being accepted!

This is a really stupid question, I know, but just to check anyway... if FTP isn't started, then it doesn't matter what the password is? I mean, there's no way FTP will be 'accidentally' started without me knowing is there?

Again, thanks for any help anyone can give...
MattK

Return to XAMPP for macOS