MAMP - it just works...

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MAMP - it just works...

Postby angstman » 26. August 2009 22:57

Hope I don't upset anyone - I'm a newbie - a no-nothing who has little experience with php, mySQL & apache servers etc. I started out life as an Art & Design student. But after days of hand wringing, hair pulling and general angst, I ditched XAMPP (1.7.2a) & downloaded MAMP. 5 minutes later everything was up & running, no problems, no issues, no weird mysteries with the terminal or BB editing of config files. Don't know about pcs, but in a Mac environment (10.5.7) - it just works, it does stuff that XAMPP wouldn't do (properly). I like MAMP so much, I'm gonna pay full purchase for MAMP pro - multiple virtual hosts - just what I need. If yo'u're running an Intel Mac & want a server that works first time get MAMP - it does what it says on the tin...in my humble opinion...
angstman

Re: MAMP - it just works...

Postby caltuna » 27. August 2009 06:42

It does NOT work. And there is no support. And the paid version is full of bugs the free version isn't. Before you do the MAMP fan-boy dance, take a look at their support boards and see how many posts never get an answer... and also notice how many complaints that there is no official support from anyone in MAMP corporate.

I came from MAMP as did many others here. I think that if MAMP had an active development team it would be a worthy competitor, but it doesn't. It has not been updated in a very long time and no one knows who is running the project.

If it works for you that's great. But as the self-confessed newbie that you admit to being, don't make judgments about things you really don't know a lot about... at least not in public because you will be proven wrong.

MAMP will run fine for a while and then it will stop. You will never know why nor find out how to fix it. You will be right back here. As the guy on (USA) TV says, "I guarantee it."
caltuna

Postby angstman » 27. August 2009 20:59

ok - I believe you...but believe me - I have better things to do than arsing around editing config files. I spent 3 or 4 days trying to get XAMPP to work properly with little success.

There must be many folks like me who approach web development from a design background rather than a coding background, who just want to get on with the tasks in hand - that's all. MAMP pro (demo version) is proving glitchy - I'm sure you're right - but it is very easy to set up virtual hosting - if you have any better suggestions I'd like to hear them...

thanx
angstman

Postby caltuna » 28. August 2009 07:26

If you are going to use MAMP, skip the pro version and just use the free version. It has fewer issues.

You said you had to mess with config files for XAMPP? Which ones? It should have worked out of the box. Did you ask in this forum for help and not get it?

Sorry I can't help with virtual hosts, but there is a thread here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36883 that has a link to how to set up a VH. I've never done it.

Al
www.insol123.com
caltuna

Postby sili » 28. August 2009 17:11

Setting up virtual hosts is described in this post: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36776
sili

XAMPP version: dfg
Operating System: dfg

Return to XAMPP for macOS