Installing XAMPP on a Flash Drive

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installing XAMPP on a Flash Drive

Postby ROSEBLOOD » 25. August 2009 03:36

Hey everyone,

Been using XAMPP on Windows for years, both on and off a flash drive. I am taking some college classes and would like to have the portability of a flash drive web server. The on problem is, the computers in class are Mac's, and I am unable to install XAMPP on my flash drive. I'm pretty new to Mac's. Never owned one, but I've been using them off and on for like a year.

Is there anyway to get XAMPP to work off my flash drive on a Mac?

~Roseblood
ROSEBLOOD

Re: Installing XAMPP on a Flash Drive

Postby Ron Newman » 25. August 2009 12:54

Wouldn't it work to just make /Applications/XAMPP a symbolic link to a XAMPP directory on the flash drive?
Ron Newman

Postby Nobbie » 26. August 2009 10:49

Ron Newman wrote:Wouldn't it work to just make /Applications/XAMPP a symbolic link to a XAMPP directory on the flash drive?

Either that or simply mount it to the desired folder.
Nobbie

Postby ROSEBLOOD » 01. September 2009 02:18

Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I've made a symbolic link of the XAMPP folder, and the app itself. But it still tells me that XAMPP is installed in the wrong area.

I'm a MAC newbie FYI.

~Roseblood
ROSEBLOOD

Postby Nobbie » 01. September 2009 12:04

ROSEBLOOD wrote:Maybe I'm not doing it right

Maybe.

How can we know?
Nobbie

Postby kelvSYC » 06. September 2009 20:40

I'm discovering that I can't install XAMPP anywhere other than /Applications, and I've been wanting to do a webserver-on-a-stick deal with XAMPP. Obviously, making aliases (or symlinks) to XAMPP in /Applications doesn't work, since the Finder resolves all aliases BEFORE the application is launched (so launching the alias/symlink is pretty much the same as launching the original). I'm not sure if this is an issue with having an additional Apache installation (as Mac OS X has its own Apache installation, which can be controlled from System Preferences) or if it's just the XAMPP Control program, but it may explain why no other competing packages can be put on a stick as well, and why, say, using a fink or macports installation of Apache requires you to shut down any other running Apache processes.
kelvSYC

Return to XAMPP for macOS