Update XAMPP without overwriting settings

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Update XAMPP without overwriting settings

Postby spoolzer » 08. August 2009 00:18

Anyone know how to update XAMPP without deleting the settings that exist? I'm currently running XAMPP 0.3 and more importantly PHP 5.2.6 and I need to update to PHP 5.3.0. Is there a way I can just update the PHP? or can I update all of XAMPP without deleted my apache settings etc.

Thanks in advance!

Sam
spoolzer

Re: Update XAMPP without overwriting settings

Postby MegaChriz » 09. August 2009 00:21

First of all, be sure to make a back-up!
I don't know an easy way to update XAMPP with maintain your settings. I think you just need to set it up all again. Some settings can be copied, like httpd-vhosts.conf and probably the config-file for phpmyadmin.

XAMPP v0.3 is very old (june 2005) and it didn't include PHP 5.2.6 (which wasn't released by then). So I assume you must have XAMPP 0.7.3 or XAMPP 0.7.4.

As for PHP 5.3, there is a new bèta version XAMPP for Mac OS X available, which includes PHP 5.3. So if you really need PHP 5.3 now, you could pick the bèta for now.

Just updating PHP should be possible, then you need to download PHP from php.net and compile PHP yourself. As for compiling PHP, I haven't yet figured out how to do that, I only know that it could be done with Xcode.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: Update XAMPP without overwriting settings

Postby spoolzer » 10. August 2009 00:33

so you're saying that I would have to compile the binary from source? Where does the binary go? Will XAMPP simply see the new PHP binary or do I have to name it the same as the old one? Cuz I think I saw one that said PHP5.2.6 which would suggest that simply dropping a binary named PHP3.0 won't do anything. There are probably links to the 5.2.6 file and that wont work if I change the file name. Of course I can be over complicating things. Has anyone updated their PHP?
spoolzer

Return to XAMPP for macOS