How do you install new version of phpMyAdmin?

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How do you install new version of phpMyAdmin?

Postby caltuna » 10. May 2009 19:39

How do you update phpMyAdmin into xampfiles? That directory is owned by "system" and as such a user can't put anything into it. Is is OK to change ownership to "nobody" or someone else and not break XAMPP? Maybe change ownership to put in the new version and change it back? Confused here.

Of course, I was able to install phpMyAdmin 3.1.4 into htdocs and simply copy the config file from 3.1.3 in xampfiles to it. I named it phpmyadmin-314 and call it by http://localhost/phpmyadmin-314. Works fine. But I'm curious how we update into xampfiles so that the link on the orange start page will hit the new version.

Thanks.
caltuna

Re: How do you install new version of phpMyAdmin?

Postby MegaChriz » 11. May 2009 12:34

It's okay to change the rights of the phpmyadmin-folder and later change it back.

If you have Tiger, then you can change the owner to your own accountname. I don't think you can change anything if you change the user to 'nobody', because in the Finder you're not working as nobody (You're working as the accountname your logged in with). After changes, change the owner back to which it was.
If you have Leopard, I believe it's also possible to just add a user with read- and writeprivileges.

This might be an easy method to update phpMyAdmin:
1. Change the rights of the current phpMyAdmin-folder, so that you can change the name.
2. Rename the current phpMyAdmin-folder to for example 'phpmyadmin313'.
3. Place the new phpMyAdmin-folder in the folder xamppfiles. Give this folder the name 'phpmyadmin'.
4. Copy the configuration-file from the old phpmyadmin-installation to the new phpmyadmin-installation. This file is called 'config.inc.php'.
5. Change the rights of the new phpmyadmin-folder if the webserver doesn't have access to it. Don't forget to apply the rights also on subfolders, or else the rights of the files inside the folder remain unchanged.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby caltuna » 11. May 2009 14:30

Yes, I still run Tiger (10.4.) Thanks for the answer. The issue is not the phpMyAdmin folder's owenrship, it is its parent folder: xampfiles. So I assume I need to change ownership of that in order to add a new phpMyAdmin folder.... and then change it back.

Is this (xampfiles owned by 'system") why XAMPP has to be run as root? Is there some reason why XAMPP is set to only run as root, requiring the "sudo" password each time you start Apache?

Anyway, I didn't feel comfortable messing with the ownership of the xampfiles directory so I just unzipped a new version of phpMyAdmin in htdocs called the resulting new verson's folder NewPHPAdmin, copied in the old config file, and invoke it via http://localhost/NewPHPAdmin. It is no big deal but it would be nice to be able to call it from the Orange start page. Until I know more about XAMPP (in Tiger) I don't want to start messing with it under the hood.

On thing I don't like about MAMPP is how it was organized. I like to have ALL html and php in htdocs. But the XAMPP developers have a lot of their pages in folders in xampfiles (outside of htdocs.) I suppose it helps "isolate" them from the possible user "corruption" of htdocs. I also found the sim links to both etc and htdocs confusing... but I'm sure they did it for a reason. No big deal.

Thanks.

ANC
caltuna

Postby MegaChriz » 12. May 2009 14:45

I believe it's possible to just drag the new phpmyadmin-folder into the xamppfiles-folder? It works fine by me. Finder says indeed that you're not allowed to change anything, but by me there is a button called 'identiteitscontrole' and when I click on that button I can type the administrators username and password.

About the xamppfiles-folder: I believe it's no problem to change the ownership of it to make some changes, if you later change the ownership back. Only in this case don't apply the rights on all the subfolders.

I think the reason why some php/html-docs are not inside the htdocs is that htdocs is public (all files in htdocs can be directly accessed via the browser, unless you have set restrictions with .htaccess-files). So it can be because of security reasons. Another possible reason is that it is possible to change the DocumentRoot to an other folder anywhere located on your system. If all php-docs from XAMPP would be inside htdocs then they would be probably no longer accessible if you had changed the DocumentRoot.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Return to XAMPP for macOS