XAMPP PROBLEM AFFECTING JOOMLA 1.5

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP PROBLEM AFFECTING JOOMLA 1.5

Postby infinite » 15. February 2009 08:13

Hi,

I will in advance thank anyone who takes the tim out to read my problem and assist in any way...I sort of wrote a whole novel...I just thought I have to write all the specifics because I have been trying to solve and get help for this problem for weeks. If anyone can help...I will greatly appreciate it.....

I am currently running xampp control panel version 0.6...and it states in the control panel that it starts up xampp version 0.7.3...I am very unsure if this can be addressed in this forum because my problem is related to Joomla. I do believe my problem is with xampp and my system..... because I have tried an installation of joomla on another xampp...on another system and it seems to be working well...so i am quiet conviced its the xampp + my ibook g4 system that could have this problem.

My installation of xampp was straight forward and easy. When I start it up from the control panel it states that it starts all the necesarry components....Apache, PHP5, MySL, ProFTPD. So all seems fine at this point. My problem takes effect when I am installing Joomla 1.5 using xampp.......Firstly I extract the joomla files into the xamp folder withing the htdocs were its supossed to be..(I named the folder joomla15).....I open the browser and I use http://localhost/joomla15/installation to begin inbstallation...After choosing the language at step 1. I begin to note a problem at step 2.

PHP Version >= 4.3.10 Yes
- Zlib Compression Support Yes
- XML Support Yes
- MySQL Support Yes
MB Language is Default Yes
MB String Overload Off Yes
configuration.php Writable No You can still continue the installation as the configuration settings will be displayed at the end. You will have to manually upload the code. Click in the text area to highlight all of the code and then paste into a new text file. Name this file 'configuration.php' and upload it to your site root folder.

All is well except for the last ..'configuration.php is not writable. Therefore I follow th instructions to manually copy the code on the final step, create the configuration.php and place it into the root site folder.

step 3 license...no problem....

step 4. Database....I entered the sitename, user: root,password: i did not enter a password...because everytime I did the next step would state database cannot connect to MySQL plus a joomla instruction pdf stated it would be alright if I left it blank. I entered the database name as joomla15.

step5. FTP configuration...I left it as it was and clicked next.

step 6. Configuration....I entered all the necesarry fields but did not install the sample data ...as the joomla installation instructions I had stated

step 7. Finish...I copied the configuration.php code and placed this file in the joomla15(site root folder)...and I removed the installation folder from the joomla15 folder.

NOW!!! here is when I encounter a problem....after using joomla to create a basic site(template)...or even installing valid W3C valid template sites into my joomla or even a blank template with all the necesities.(I am very sure that these sites are valid)......when I use the browser to view these sites and save them so I can upload them to validation.w3c...to check for validity I always get the same errors (in addition to the real errors). I have chosen the show source code on w3c and it displays code that is not properly arranged tag wise...I have no idea why this is happening...I have spent weeks trying to find the problem.....there roughly 20 errors of this form produced by validation.W3C.....here are examples..
EXAMPLE .1
# Error Line 6, Column 46: end tag for "meta" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow">

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

it complains about all the meta and link tags..

EXAMPLE . 2
Error Line 57, Column 14: XML Parsing Error: Premature end of data in tag link line 17.
</body></html>

it complains about the html tag...

From the firefox brower the code is valid...I have checked using html validation, error console...but when I upload to validation w3c and show the code all these errors appear and show code ..previews my code in a very incorrect manner.

I will appreciate greatly if anyone could assist me ...or if this is not the right place to post my problem then help me kno were I can direct this problem.
infinite

Re: XAMPP PROBLEM AFFECTING JOOMLA 1.5

Postby MegaChriz » 16. February 2009 15:30

infinite wrote:All is well except for the last ..'configuration.php is not writable. Therefore I follow th instructions to manually copy the code on the final step, create the configuration.php and place it into the root site folder.

To make configuration.php writeable, you have to look up the file in Finder, en set the permissions for this file.
1. Select the file in Finder.
2. Choose 'View info' from the File menu.
3. By 'Ownership & Permissions:', you can set 'Read & write' for everyone. Do this only at localhost (I suppose you use your iBook G4 only for testing your website(s) and not as a server in a production environment). Setting permissions to everyone is not recommended on a server in a production environment.

infinite wrote:step 4. Database....I entered the sitename, user: root,password: i did not enter a password...because everytime I did the next step would state database cannot connect to MySQL plus a joomla instruction pdf stated it would be alright if I left it blank. I entered the database name as joomla15.

Your root-user for MySQL has no password. This is standard when you just installed Xampp. You can set a MySQL password for the root-user by running the following command in the Terminal:
/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/mampp security
It's possible you have to give your username and password first (I'm not sure). If so, this is the username of the admin-account of your Mac.

For that other problem, maybe the Joomla html output is not 100% W3C valid.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Return to XAMPP for macOS