Mysql.sock Missing / MySQL Deactivated

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mysql.sock Missing / MySQL Deactivated

Postby caseyweed » 19. July 2008 02:27

I have an iMac with OS 10.5 (Leopard) installed. It came with Apache pre-installed and I installed MySQL.

I installed XAMPP and was very happy to find that it actually found the mysql.sock which had been missing for a month or so. After that I tried to access phpMyAdmin but it denied me. So I erased XAMPP from the terminal and reinstalled it. After reinstalling it, it could no longer find the mysql.sock, and MySQL is deactivated and I keep getting a weird string of errors when starting XAMPP, Apache, and MySQL.

[Here's a picture]

And I end having to cancel the process because it provides "No such process".

Please help me find out how to reactivate MySQL and find the mysql.sock. I finally got it to work, and then it broke on me.

Would uninstalling my current version of MySQL help?

Please be simple with your answers. I'm not very technical.

Postby jmdirc » 19. July 2008 05:38

Did you install Mysql and Xampp? Or Xampp with Mysql ?

If you installed Mysql separately - how did you install it? Did you configure it?

edit: Installing Mysql separately would not effect xampp. I have Xampp and an additional PHP and Mysql loaded, they all work fine.

If you would, uninstall xampp from the terminal by typing:
rm -rf /Applications/xampp

although not necessary, reboot and then re-install it, that might work. Sometimes Xampp will just start with an error from out of know where - stop it then turn it back on. If it still is creating problems, run something like Onyx before re-installing. Onyx is free and will help reset permissions and clean-up some of the OSX system without hurting anything:

Return to XAMPP for Mac OS X