XAMPP at StartUP

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP at StartUP

Postby Eddybaur » 15. June 2008 23:50

Here You all go! A Startup AppleScript Code.

You need to just install At where ever you want, then go to your System Preferences/Users Select the user that you want XAMPP to startup on, then thats it! It'll startup.

FOR LEOPARD ONLY

The only issue currently is trying to get Terminal to close when commands are complete.

Download HERE:http://eddybaur.info/restarter/xamppstartup.zip
Alternate Link:http://xampp-restarter-for-mac.googlecode.com/files/xamppstartup.zip

Email me: eykraus@gmail.com

If you got issues.

I Take PayPal Donations: eddyb@myspheres.net

THANKS!
Eddybaur

Postby jmdirc » 16. June 2008 22:04

You can probably use the Automator in 10.4 Tiger to do the same.

Alot of people will be happy you bothered with the startup. Alot have asked about it.
jmdirc

Postby Eddybaur » 16. June 2008 22:42

yea i know... :) thats why i made it.

Any other suggestions for things 4 me to make just say!
Eddybaur

Postby jmdirc » 17. June 2008 03:56

Yeah, send me the script, I'll build it in Tiger and send you the bundle; then you'll have one for each you can make available.
jmdirc

Postby Eddybaur » 17. June 2008 13:41

jmdirc wrote:Yeah, send me the script, I'll build it in Tiger and send you the bundle; then you'll have one for each you can make available.

Code: Select all
tell application "Terminal"
   activate
end tell
tell application "System Events"
   tell process "Terminal"
      keystroke "sudo su"
      keystroke return
      delay 1
      keystroke "password"
      keystroke return

keystroke "/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/mampp start"
      keystroke return
   end tell
end tell

remember 2 change where it says "password" To your administrator password! :D
Eddybaur

Re: XAMPP at StartUP

Postby Eddybaur » 17. June 2008 13:58

Eddybaur wrote:Here You all go! A Startup AppleScript Code.

You need to just install At where ever you want, then go to your System Preferences/Users Select the user that you want XAMPP to startup on, then thats it! It'll startup.

FOR LEOPARD ONLY

The only issue currently is trying to get Terminal to close when commands are complete.

Download HERE:http://eddybaur.info/restarter/xamppstartup.zip
Alternate Link:http://xampp-restarter-for-mac.googlecode.com/files/xamppstartup.zip

Email me: eykraus@gmail.com

If you got issues.

I Take PayPal Donations: eddyb@myspheres.net

THANKS!

I've just knoticed a issue with my installer. IT takes the privileges away from the zip file. You will need to click on the zip file, then file>get info then correct the privileges so you can view it. But an update will be givin soon.
Eddybaur

Postby jmdirc » 17. June 2008 21:34

OK, is there a script that will install the applescript into login items so the user don't have to fool with it? I'm looking for it now.

I'm not sure you will be able to do this without a password prompt.

I've got, borrowing from MacPaq's, since it is much shorter and no Terminal window; but I'm using password request that starts at boot and asks for a password. The user never sees the Xampp window, just a brief menu that goes away after Xampp starts.

In fact, if a user got a copy of this file I made, they could drop it straight into their home folder and then put it straight into their login items since all it will do is prompt for a password to start xampp- they won't have to fool with the script editor at all.

what do you think

They don't have attach files here do they.
jmdirc

Postby Eddybaur » 17. June 2008 21:36

nope they dont have attact files, and sounds like plan
Eddybaur

Postby MacPaq » 19. June 2008 02:35

Hi jmdirc,

"In fact, if a user got a copy of this file I made, they could drop it straight into their home folder and then put it straight into their login items since all it will do is prompt for a password to start xampp- they won't have to fool with the script editor at all. "

I am not sure if the file you make is from the same script in my other thread, if so, I forgot to mention that when save the script as an application, in the options, make sure nothing is checked, especially the one that says Startup Screen. The script app should run transperantly without asking for password. All one sees is an pre OS X style b/w beachball and the name of the script app for a split second, then it's ready to go.
MacPaq

Postby jmdirc » 19. June 2008 03:40

Have you tested it on another machine to see if it errors or asks for a password when it looks for the password you created it with and doesn't find it? Can you email me a copy of it or give me a download link?

I know if someone runs the script through their editor with their password they will not have to bother with a password at boot.
jmdirc

Postby MacPaq » 19. June 2008 14:22

I have using it on my G4 mini with tiger 10.4.11, this is a server to show customers my web designs, I am also using the same script on a Mac Pro
and a MacBook with Leopard 10.5.3. It works just fine in every case.

It's really not that complicated. Way simpler that all the fuss about toggleing with Terminal or Automator. Just type in the one line code in Script Editor, replace the admin pwd with yours, name and save it as an app (I called it startXampp), without any Options checked, drop it in a directory of your liking, (I drop it in the Xampp directory). In System Preferences->Accounts, click Login Items and add the script app to it, that's it. (Since you are setting this up I assume you are the Admin.) Once reboot, Xampp will just start automatically within a second, no waiting for password input or error. The whole reason for me to do this is, besides the annoyance of restart Xampp on every boot, more importantly, in case after a power failure in my absence, the Mac will reboot and Xampp will run again, so there is less downtime on my part.

If that doesn't work then I am not sure what else it could be.
MacPaq

Postby jmdirc » 19. June 2008 20:26

We were thinking to make a script where anyone would just have to run the ap and everything would be done for them. They wouldn't have to do anything else.

We're a ways off from that.
jmdirc

Postby MacPaq » 20. June 2008 12:59

"We were thinking to make a script where anyone would just have to run the ap and everything would be done for them. They wouldn't have to do anything else. "

Hummm, I am not sure I understand what you mean. Sounds like you want it to do more then just auto restart. A script? What kind? A shell script? An automator script? And what do you mean by run the app and everything would be done for them? What is everything?

If I understand better perhaps I can be some help?
MacPaq

Postby Eddybaur » 25. June 2008 03:46

jmdirc wrote:We were thinking to make a script where anyone would just have to run the ap and everything would be done for them. They wouldn't have to do anything else.

We're a ways off from that.

http://www.eddybaur.info/restarter/XamppStart2.zip

That's the 1 that jmdirc made.
Eddybaur

Return to XAMPP for macOS