How to run xampp without root/administrator?

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to run xampp without root/administrator?

Postby Polat » 26. May 2008 09:09

I have installed XAMPP on Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard, it needs the administrator password to run it. Is it possible to run it without having the administrator password?
Polat

Postby jmdirc » 27. May 2008 00:43

I don't think so. But then, why would you want to?

If you don't have administrator privilages - get with your administrator.

Do a search on the net - you might find something to untangle all the possible references to "root" in the Xampp package.

You can always install php, mysql, and Apache seperately. Mysql will ask for your user password, but it will be launched from the preference panel seperately from Apache. Any time you start web sharing you will need the administrator's password anyway unless it is unlocked already.
jmdirc

Postby Polat » 27. May 2008 07:20

jmdirc wrote:I don't think so. But then, why would you want to?

If you don't have administrator privilages - get with your administrator.

Do a search on the net - you might find something to untangle all the possible references to "root" in the Xampp package.

You can always install php, mysql, and Apache seperately. Mysql will ask for your user password, but it will be launched from the preference panel seperately from Apache. Any time you start web sharing you will need the administrator's password anyway unless it is unlocked already.

Thanks for your reply. The reason why I want to run it without administrator privileges: there are users which I don't want to give administrator privileges but they have to work with xampp.
Polat

Postby jmdirc » 27. May 2008 21:51

Just turn it on and leave it on after you start your computer. Sorry couldn't be more help.

I've been looking around the web for some information, but haven't found anything yet, only for databases in mysql(phpmyadmin).

You might have to install php, mysql, and apache on the administrator side and assign user accounts on your computer.
jmdirc

Postby liquidx » 27. May 2008 23:41

might try to run it from any level from before the startup screen shows.

try to look around for launchd on mac.

i'm not very good at mac myself. but i think it can be done.
liquidx

Postby Polat » 28. May 2008 07:35

jmdirc wrote:Just turn it on and leave it on after you start your computer. Sorry couldn't be more help.
That is the point, I don't want users are logged in with administrator privileges.

I've been looking around the web for some information, but haven't found anything yet, only for databases in mysql(phpmyadmin).

You might have to install php, mysql, and apache on the administrator side and assign user accounts on your computer.

I couldn't even found any information, I think there is NO way to use/start xampp without administrator privileges.

Polat

Return to XAMPP for macOS