No xampp security in xamppfiles

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: No xampp security in xamppfiles

Postby kasimmon » 10. January 2010 04:51

Can someone detail how this problem was resolved, please? I just downloaded xampp tonight and I'm running OS 10.5.8. I'm having the same problem as Keith. Here's what is present in my xamppfiles:

bin
cgi-bin
doc
error
etc
htdocs
icons
lib
libexec
licences
logs
modules
phpmyadmin
sbin
sql-bench
temp
var
xampp
xampp.pot

Any help would be appreciated.
kasimmon

Postby petegrif » 13. March 2010 10:25

Hi Kasimmon

I had exactly the same problem.

I couldn't find the security file anywhere on my system. In fact I am pretty convinced it just isn't in the distribution I installed.

In desperation I followed Daiwan's advice - working on the terminal, using sudo etc

don't ask me why but it worked

makes no sense to me at all but all seems to be well

give it a shot

good luck

:)

pete
petegrif

Postby ruminator » 14. January 2011 03:40

I too am operating in Snow Leopard and can't find any "/security" file. Being told by the security settings to change user and password for mysql but can't do.
I'll try the terminal thing but am a bit concerned about the negative effects reported by others.
ruminator

Postby MegaChriz » 17. January 2011 14:43

There is no 'security'-file. It's an option or command of the UNIX-application 'xampp'. To start this application:

1. Open Terminal.
2. Type in 'sudo su' and press return.
3. Type in your password and press return. You don't see an indication that you are typing your password.
4. To start the security program, type:
Code: Select all
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp security

To see the available options of the xampp program, type:
Code: Select all
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp

You are right about negative effects. There are some bugs in the application that will cause lock you out of phpMyAdmin. Read careful and change the MySQL password only.

By the way, the only reason to start the security program is if you really need security. Usually, your websites via XAMPP will only be accessable in your local network, not on the internet, unless you have made some configurations that will make your websites available to the internet.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Previous

Return to XAMPP for macOS