opening Joomla with XAMPP on Mac

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

opening Joomla with XAMPP on Mac

Postby rfendelman » 27. February 2008 20:52

Hello:
I am very, very new at this.
I'm following a book to learn Joomla using my Mac.
For a local server I am using XAMPP
I have successfully installed XAMPP.
I have successfully downloaded Joomla 1.5 (which is in a folder named Joomla with 26 folders/files in it)
What do I do next?
How do I get Joomla to open in XAMPP.

XAMPP is a folder in my Applicatons folder.
I've activated all it's components and I can get it to open with http://localhost/xampp/
Help!

Thanks,
Richard
rfendelman

Postby jmdirc » 28. February 2008 03:35

I tried to install it by way of it's directions but kept getting a permissions error. I'm guessing you either have to sign out of your user/admin name on the mac and sign in as root. You could always try installing from the terminal but you will need to set up a database and who knows what else. If signing in as 'root' don't do it - your guess will be as good as mine.

I did load another program called CyberDuck. But again with the permissions to use some of its functions. I've been to a lot of websites and forums but there are no real answers, if any at all.

If I get a dire need somewhere down the road I'll try again, but for now there just isn't enough findable, friendly people who don't mind walking one through the process in a non-geek language.

If you do find a solution, post it, let us know. Someone else out there probably needs the information too.
jmdirc

It's funny.....

Postby rfendelman » 28. February 2008 04:55

It's funny.....I'm following a book about Joomla by Barrie North and also looking at his website. He suggests using WAMP (for PC) or XAMPP and goes on top explain in detail how to use WAMP....because HE'S A PC GUY...and doesn't know Mac. Well, I think he should have found out. It's passive aggressive to all of us Mac guys....he's supposed to be the pro, that's why I bought the book. OK, I'm through venting. I've left a message on his web site forum at joomlabook.com under chapter 2. Keep watching it for a reply.
rfendelman

Postby jmdirc » 28. February 2008 05:07

And that's the other thing I kept running into, Windows information. I guess Mac users are supposed to be geeks already. I'm trying really :lol: .

good luck
jmdirc

Postby jmdirc » 29. February 2008 03:26

Sorry for the double post but I did manage to get the permissions fixed with Cyberduck. If you want to give it a try and get stuck with the same give me a yell right here.
jmdirc

Return to XAMPP for macOS