How to Set Passwords // Beginning

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: How to Set Passwords // Beginning

Postby icky_thump » 04. November 2009 18:59

I'm stumped on one part of this.

I've gone thru this XAMPP install and security set up several times now and the one consistent problem I run into is with phpMyAdmin login.

With the updated instructions on here, it was a breeze this time (THANKS!). phpMyAdmin works for me, but once I assign it a password, I get locked out. (Yes, of course I'm writing down the password.)

My set-up is as follows: Mac OS 10.4.11
XAMPP version 1.7.2a

So, I'm trying 'root' as the username, and also tried 'pma' as the username, along with the password I assigned it. It gives me the "#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)". Everytime I've done this setup, I get this same result. I've googled the heck out of that error but can't find anything helpful.

I'm also noticing when navigating the XAMPP menu (http://localhost/) that CD Collection under Demos that it throws an error as well:
"( ! ) Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/cds.php on line 64".

I not only exit XAMPP after changes, I also reset my browser, emptying the cache.

I cannot see what I'm doing wrong that is causing these database connection errors.
I do have some special characters in my password. Does MySQL and phpMyAdmin not accept those? Everywhere I use them, they are acceptable. ( I did try w/out special characters and got the same issue)

I'm googling around, reading up XAMPP, PHP, MySQL, phpMyAdmin, et al and quickly going bald!

Anyone have any insights into this?
Anyone else having these issues?
icky_thump

Postby jmdirc » 04. November 2009 19:30

icky_thump wrote:I'm also noticing when navigating the XAMPP menu (http://localhost/) that CD Collection under Demos that it throws an error as well:
"( ! ) Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/cds.php on line 64".

I couldn't duplicate the password error with phpMyAdmin. I also tried setting up a user other than root and they signed in just fine. All I can suggest is double check the password - I would go for length verses special characters. Also, try going directly to phpMyadmin by typing in http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ instead of going through the XAMPP page. I'll keep trying to duplicate the error in the mean time- Oh, I'm also on OS 4.11.

The cd issue is cured by going to --

1. xampp/htdocs/xampp/cds.php

change line 4 to: mysql_connect("localhost","root","enter password here");
change line 64 to: if(!mysql_connect("localhost","root","enter password here"))

I'll put that in the instructions above. Thanks for getting back with me. If you are still having problems let me know.
An artist/designer/ and now programer exploring the creative sides.
jmdirc

Postby icky_thump » 04. November 2009 23:21

jmdirc,

You Rock! Thanks for all your time and energy in creating this tutorial!
I finally got it all working.

The problems I was causing myself were, one, that I was using special characters in the passwords. I did a fresh install of XAMPP and made passwords without any special characters and my login problems were solved.

The second thing I was doing wrong was using the wrong password I created. When I went thru the password creation prompts in Terminal, I was creating different passwords for each item. When I went to login to phpMyAdmin I thought I was to use the password I had created for MySQL/phpmyadmin, but it was actually the MySQL password that I needed.

Just thought I'd note this in case anyone else makes the same mistakes.
icky_thump

Postby jmdirc » 17. November 2009 06:34

Ron Newman wrote:
jmdirc wrote:1. xampp/htdocs/xampp/cds.php

change line 64 to: if(!mysql_connect("localhost","root","enter password here"))

You'll also want to make a similar change on line 4, or else the "PDF Document" option in the CD Collection demo will not work.

Thanks Ron...

In the original instructions, I included that instruction - when the new version of Xampp came out I deleted it before deciding to include instructions for two versions. Still, thank you for reminding me, that instruction is now included.

Also, my pdf turned out fine without the font change you mentioned in both versions. Perhaps it is the difference if one is working on Leopard as opposed to Tiger. ??
An artist/designer/ and now programer exploring the creative sides.
jmdirc

Postby icky_thump » 06. January 2010 21:55

Just a side note for Joomla! users.
XAMPP 1.7.2a is running PHP 5.3.
Joomla's current version (as of this writing) is 1.5.15 and is not fully compatible with PHP 5.3 so you'll need to run an older version of XAMPP if you want Joomla! to function properly.
I've yet to downgrade, but I'm told XAMPP 1.7.1 will work with Joomla!

I'd suggest searching thru the Joomla forums to see if this has changed before installing XAMPP so you can get the right info and version at the beginning. Avoid the doubling back that I and many others have experienced.

*****EDIT****
I mispoke. This info is so fragmented! Ok, so the XAMPP 1.7.1 I referenced above is for WINDOWS.
For Mac it's XAMPP 1.0.1
you can find it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/
you'll have to scroll down to the Mac folder to get to the older versions
icky_thump

Postby pixel-pablo » 10. March 2010 21:14

THis document is very clear, but I am still having tons of problems. I am using XAMPP 1.0.1 on MAC OS X version 10.4.11 and this is my second try. The first time when I entered the passwords it completely locked me out. So I downloaded again, and an earlier version because it was indicated that the newest version of XAMPP would not work with Joomla very well.

So having downloaded and installed XAMPP 1.0.1 then I followed your instructions, but two things happen:

1. I am not required to login when I type in localhost.

2. It is still denying me access to PHPmyAdmin.

Error
MySQL said:

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

This is so terribly frustrating. Can someone please help me? Thank you very kindly.

Sincerely,
Paul
pixel-pablo

Postby MegaChriz » 12. March 2010 12:11

Did you change the password for the MySQL-account with the security program?
If so, it looks like phpMyAdmin doesn't know that password. In that case:
1. Go to /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/phpmyadmin/.
2. Copy the file config.inc.php to your desktop.
3. Change the following line in that file:
Code: Select all
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';

Typ in the MySQL-password between the single quotes.
4. Copy the file back to the phpmyadmin-folder. You propably need to give the password of the administrator-account of your Mac.

Hopefully you now have access again.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby baileys » 02. October 2011 17:55

Thanks this was very helpful. :D
baileys

Postby alexwebster » 02. October 2011 20:26

wow many thanks for this - I am going to print this out even - cheers
alexwebster

Postby chicangel » 02. November 2011 19:56

Hy! I have just switched to Mac, from Windows and Linux. I have had my new Mac (a Power Mac G5, OS X 10.4.6) for about a week now. Today, for the first time, I tried out sudo and just su itself. Trouble in paradise...su prompted me for a password. At no time during the set up of this Mac was I ever asked to enter a root password - I had hoped it simply hadn't been set, and typing "su" would just log me in as root. Is there a default password that all Macs come with that I can use? Alternately, is there some way of setting the root password at this point? For sudo, once I get past being able to log in as root, I will need to find the Mac OS X equivalent of what in Linux would be /etc/sudoers. Where does this live on the Mac?
chicangel

Operating System: windows

Postby JonB » 04. November 2011 20:29

I "think" the Mac defaults the su password to your Mac user pw. (sorta like sudo on Linux)

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby cgitosh » 07. September 2012 11:40

I've done all this but still I'm not able to access PHPMyAdmin or the CD collection page. in addition to having a password, I've also changed the default port to 78 is there some place where I'm supposed to change the localhost to localhost:78 perhaps?
cgitosh

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

Postby mattjtv » 25. December 2012 20:42

Still getting this message: #1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
mattjtv

Operating System: Mac OS 10.8

Postby olalomo » 27. December 2012 20:16

I have thesame problem. I use Xampp 1.7.1 and window 7. I've been using this for long before setting a password using the previledge tab on PHPMyAdmin. I tried putting the password I created into the configuration file but the error message persist even when I vary the password.
olalomo

Operating System: Window 7

Postby Persevere » 07. February 2013 19:40

This was this was very useful, Setting a MySQL password in XAMPP Mac OSX - Lucid Nerd Tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPjpRzdrug8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But take note, I am completely new to this, so the likelyhood I can point you in the wrong direction is high,
Persevere

Operating System: Mac OS, Mountain Lion

PreviousNext

Return to XAMPP for macOS