How to Set Passwords // Beginning

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: How to Set Passwords // Beginning

Postby Angelique Bolk » 28. May 2009 21:06

Thank you for sharing this information.
Angelique Bolk

Postby KCB » 03. June 2009 17:48

I tried to follow these directions and ran into problems fairly early.

After entering "/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/mampp security", to get .."No such file or directory"
I've tried "su /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/mampp", and got "unknown login:"..
I entered "/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/" and confirmed that this folder is in the right place

I even tried de-installing and re-installinging xampp and still cannot find this file
KCB

Postby jmdirc » 07. June 2009 18:39

When this thread started it was for earlier version of XAMPP. I haven't had time to check out the latest version. I'll see If I can get to it in the not so distant future.

If you just skip over the file that is no longer there, see what happens.
An artist/designer/ and now programer exploring the creative sides.
jmdirc

Postby MegaChriz » 08. June 2009 07:37

The file 'mampp' doesn't exists anymore in XAMPP for Mac v1.0.1.

The command to change the passwords is now:
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp security
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby Ron Newman » 24. June 2009 05:50

jmdirc wrote:1. xampp/htdocs/xampp/cds.php

change line 64 to: if(!mysql_connect("localhost","root","enter password here"))

You'll also want to make a similar change on line 4, or else the "PDF Document" option in the CD Collection demo will not work. In addition, line 9 needs to be changed to

$pdf->selectFont('/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/lib/fonts/Helvetica.afm');

to reflect the correct location of the font file in the Mac version of XAMPP. Without that change, your PDF file will contain nothing but boxes, no text.
Ron Newman

Postby cogsci » 28. August 2009 15:17

This was a great help, I did as everything said but no matter what the FTP is not secured. It still says:

The FTP password for user nobody is still 'xampp' UNSECURE
By using the default password for the FTP user nobody everyone can upload and change files for your XAMPP webserver. So if you enabled ProFTPD you should set a new password for user nobody.

I've tried re-entering the password in the Terminal and it says this:
XAMPP: Password:
XAMPP: Password (again):
XAMPP: Reload ProFTPD...ok.
XAMPP: Done.

I've tried reloading the FTP, exiting and opening XAMPP, and re-installing XAMPP and re-setting all passwords, but it still says its unsecure...

Can anybody help me? Thanks a lot!
cogsci

Postby andymelton » 20. September 2009 05:19

cogsci wrote:This was a great help, I did as everything said but no matter what the FTP is not secured. It still says:

The FTP password for user nobody is still 'xampp' UNSECURE
By using the default password for the FTP user nobody everyone can upload and change files for your XAMPP webserver. So if you enabled ProFTPD you should set a new password for user nobody.

I've tried re-entering the password in the Terminal and it says this:
XAMPP: Password:
XAMPP: Password (again):
XAMPP: Reload ProFTPD...ok.
XAMPP: Done.

I've tried reloading the FTP, exiting and opening XAMPP, and re-installing XAMPP and re-setting all passwords, but it still says its unsecure...

Can anybody help me? Thanks a lot!

I am having issues with this as well. I did at one point have the built-in FTP server and Web Sharing enabled but in the past I have switched between XAMPP and the built-in services without any issues. But now, I am unable to secure the FTP user nobody with a password. I know there is a way to edit the proftpd.conf file but I was concerned that the password wouldn't be secure since I would be entering it in plain text.
andymelton

Postby andymelton » 22. September 2009 19:44

I changed the password in the configuration file and XAMPP says that it is now secure. However, I am still unable to connect to the FTP server.
andymelton

Postby pyrogerg » 22. September 2009 19:58

Very helpful. Thanks.
pyrogerg

Postby andymelton » 26. September 2009 03:03

Look like there are still a few kinks to work out in the new version. I went back to version 1.0.1 and everything works as it should. Even the security tool has (yes) instead of (jka) (or whatever it was, I've already forgotten).
andymelton

Postby icky_thump » 26. October 2009 16:28

A huge thank you to jmdirc and every who added to this. I was totally, cluelessly stuck before I found this tutorial.

I'm having the same issue that cogsci brought up with the FTP being unsecure.

Is there a solution to this? Or is it a bug as andy is suggesting?
icky_thump

Postby Keith Romans » 31. October 2009 08:03

I did everything as it said and got no such directory found
Keith Romans

UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS

Postby jmdirc » 01. November 2009 15:31

The instructions are updated at the top of this thread -- version specific for 0.7.4 and 1.7.2a

sorry it took so long -

if you are in or around the north Dayton, Ohio area and would like to start a PHP group for learning - send me a pm and we will see about getting one going - I hate to say it, but I know of no one here who works with dynamic websites.

Good luck.
jmdirc

Postby icky_thump » 03. November 2009 22:50

jmdirc,

thanks for the update, i hope it gets me over the hump. i've had to reinstall xampp 4x times as i always end up locked out.

have you tried meetup(dot)com for a PHP or developer group in your area? I'm not there, but here (st. louis) we have meetup groups for php, developers, joomla and other.
icky_thump

Postby jmdirc » 04. November 2009 06:01

icky_thump wrote:have you tried meetup(dot)com for a PHP or developer group in your area? I'm not there, but here (st. louis) we have meetup groups for php, developers, joomla and other.

Yeah, I looked there. They had one group in this area which is a web standards group. I sat in on one meeting last year but it was more about what browser and the leading computer companies were doing to meet or exceed web standards. I'm looking more for a php specific group to crunch code, techniques and learn more. Thanks for the good suggestion though.
jmdirc

PreviousNext

Return to XAMPP for macOS