password prob

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

password prob

Postby jmdirc » 10. February 2008 23:02

After installing xampp it suggested passwords for security reasons.

So, I added passwords and now phpMyAdmin won't let me in because of Mysql, although running, will not allow access. Everything worked fine before I added the passwords. I hate being a noob. I've searched the web, Googled it, but the info I get is just too technical.

This is my first attempt, outside creating a web page, so I'm sure it is probably something I'm overlooking.

Any help, in layman's terms, will be appreciated.

oops - I'm on a Mac 10.4
jmdirc

Postby sari42 » 11. February 2008 01:22

you have to notify pma that you changed the pw:
Code: Select all
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'newrootpw';
in phpmyadmin/config.inc.php
sari42

Postby jmdirc » 11. February 2008 02:27

Nope, didn't work. Thanks anyway. Anyone else?

edit: update; after using Onyx to verify and correct permissions, I now have access to phpmyadmin. However, in the pdf demo I get the following error:

"Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/cds.php on line 64

Could not connect to database!
Is MySQL running or did you change the password? "

...and the other demos aren't doing anything.

and, the Mysql database is deactivated according to 'Xampp Status'. But at the Terminal, after loading the start, it says it is running. ??
jmdirc

Postby sari42 » 11. February 2008 12:09

(using password: NO) in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/cds.php on line 64

if you change the root password that mysql requires you have to change every reference to it as well from the default value (empty) to the one you changed it to of course.
sari42

Postby jmdirc » 11. February 2008 16:44

sari42 wrote:
(using password: NO) in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/cds.php on line 64

if you change the root password that mysql requires you have to change every reference to it as well from the default value (empty) to the one you changed it to of course.

Yep, that worked. I can see the cd list anyway-can't do anything with it. The database is still deactivated-- until it's called upon? "reference to it as well" how many references are there in how many different files in how many ways? I guess I got a lot to learn.

Anyway, thanks a lot

more silly questions to come, most likely
jmdirc

Return to XAMPP for macOS