May I install XAMPP if I already have Apache/MySql/PHP?

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

May I install XAMPP if I already have Apache/MySql/PHP?

Postby starkawa » 24. December 2006 11:07

Hi all,

I'm a beginner learning how to build a dynamic web page. Although I've follwed the instructions to activate my Mac's Apache and install MySql, PHP module, and PMA files, I now feel it will be easier to follow the book's instruction if I use XAMPP instead.

My only conern is that may I still install XAMPP without deleting all the previous servers/softwares and not running into any trouble? If the answer is a no worries, should I at least de-activate Apache/MySql before activating XAMPP? Thank you very very much!!!

Merry Christmas,

Postby mistermartin75 » 13. January 2007 15:12

You should disable all running apache and mysql processes before you run xampp, otherwise it will pick your current processes first (they also block ports like 8080 for xampp).

how do i turn off my existing apache software.

Postby wade » 23. March 2007 22:40

I've already installed XAMPP, but my http://localhost is still going to my pre-existing apache web server.

I guess i'll need to uninstall my current xampp, and reinstall it after i learn how to turn off my existing apache server.

thanks for your help! I'm a web designer and don't know much about Terminal or servers in general. This is my first stab at it.

web designer trying to learn php

Postby tantrik » 02. April 2007 17:44

can anyone help here with how to deactivate or remove, the previous existing apache tomcat and mysql. Because I believe just dragging it into trash is definately leaving behind some other files and references installed at other places.

Return to XAMPP for Mac OS X