"The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

"The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (

Postby fuocorav » 29. November 2005 21:26

The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (blowfish_secret).

The error message says I need a secret passphrase after I enabled the secured connection to mysql.

What do I need to do next?

I'm itching to install a few more web apps such as Wordpress and etc, but cannot enable the phpmyadmin to work.

Thanks,

Rene V.
fuocorav

Found an answer

Postby fuocorav » 29. November 2005 21:33

It's in LINUX FAQ:

What do I do if the error message is »The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (blowfish_secret)« shows up?

This message may appear since XAMPP for Linux 1.2 was released. Since version 2.5.2, phpMyAdmin supports the encryption of cookie-saved passwords.

Solution:

Edit config.inc.php at line 60. You find this file in the phpmyadmin directory of your XAMPP installation. The line should look like this:

$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = '';

Enter in this line a password-like word or phrase, for example:

$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'holla';

That's all. You should now be able to use phpMyAdmin in the same way as before.
fuocorav

Postby melopela » 18. November 2008 05:28

This thread sent me in the right direction:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=621686

My config.inc.php already included the $cfg['blowfish_secret'] key, so it was a matter of permissions. Log in as root and execute (or sudo) the following commands:

chown -R root /var/lib/phpmyadmin
chmod -R 775 /var/lib/phpmyadmin

Hope it helps someone ;)
melopela

Re: "The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (

Postby Persevere » 07. February 2013 17:40

Just in case the wiser still come by this thread: In the following folder structure, XAMPP>xamppfiles>phpmyadmin>config.inc.php … I have No Access to that last file. I am on Mac OS Mountain Lion, Xampp 1.7.3

Under sharing and permission, me with admin rights on this Mac, has no access to these files. I do not know why. Any guidance would be great. I was planning on making changes in config.inc.php as described above and guided by the above. Thanks for any help.

Best,
Persevere

Operating System: Mac OS, Mountain Lion

Return to XAMPP for macOS