XAMPP on M1

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP on M1

Postby manngo » 08. December 2022 02:04

Does XAMPP run natively on Apple’s M1 Silicon? If not, is it on the books?
manngo

XAMPP version: 7.1.1
Operating System: MacOS 10.12

Re: XAMPP on M1

Postby JDLH » 20. December 2022 02:40

Hello, manngo:
manngo wrote:Does XAMPP run natively on Apple’s M1 Silicon?

There are two forms of "XAMPP" for macOS: the native installer, and the virtual machine installer. Read about them at the XAMPP for OS X FAQ, and the XAMPP for OS X (VM) FAQ.

I am guessing that you are asking about the native installer. This installs MariaDB, Apache web server, PHP, and FTP as macOS apps directly on your mac machine. Yes, the XAMPP which that installs does work on Apple's Apple Silicon M1 CPU. I am using it on an M1 Max CPU.

If you are asking about the virtual machine installer, the XAMPP which it installs does not work on Apple Silicon CPUs, only on intel CPUs.

manngo wrote:If not, is it on the books?

I have no information about when the VM system will work on Apple Silicon CPUs, sorry.

There is a little more information on the forum thread, Clarification on macOS VM, and nonsupport for M1 CPUs.
JDLH

XAMPP version: 7.4
Operating System: macOS 12.6

Postby manngo » 20. December 2022 04:29

I was more interested in the non-VM version as it’s easier to work with.

I installed XAMMP on my machine but I find that it is not a Native application. Both the installer application and the installed application manager appear to be Intel applications, according to the Activity Monitor and a very handy utility called Silicon Info. I can only assume that Apache and MariaDB as well as PHP must be Intel as well, though I can’t get any information on that.

They do run, presumably thanks to Rosetta. I was wondering about a fully native version. I’m looking into MAMP which does claim to run natively.
manngo

XAMPP version: 7.1.1
Operating System: MacOS 10.12

Postby JDLH » 22. December 2022 01:59

manngo wrote:I installed XAMMP on my machine but I find that it is not a Native application. Both the installer application and the installed application manager appear to be Intel applications, according to the Activity Monitor and a very handy utility called Silicon Info. I can only assume that Apache and MariaDB as well as PHP must be Intel as well,….

I don't have definitive information about the CPU target of the PHP, Apache, and MariaDB which XAMPP installs, but I don't know of anything which contradicts your assumption that they are compiled for intel architectures, and run on Apple Silicon architectures thanks to macOS's Rosetta system.
JDLH

XAMPP version: 7.4
Operating System: macOS 12.6

Return to XAMPP for macOS