XAMP 7.3.10 and MacOS Catalina

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMP 7.3.10 and MacOS Catalina

Postby rudva » 29. October 2019 18:25

Hi there!!

I just move to MacOS Catalina, but my previous verson of XAMPP is not running at all. Any suggestions??

My plan is to install the XAMPP 7.3.10, but I have a silly questions before:
  • Can I only install it without worry about the websites and databases installed?
  • Is going to recognize the previous version? I don't had chance to make my backup for the databases and websites and I don't wan't to lose all
  • If I can't install over the existent, how can I make it run to extract my websites and databases? then run the uninstall
rudva

XAMPP version: 7.3.8
Operating System: MacOS Catalina

Re: XAMP 7.3.10 and MacOS Catalina

Postby Nobbie » 29. October 2019 22:37

rudva wrote:Can I only install it without worry about the websites and databases installed?

No.

rudva wrote:Is going to recognize the previous version? I don't had chance to make my backup for the databases and websites and I don't wan't to lose all

No. You will loose all data.

rudva wrote:If I can't install over the existent, how can I make it run to extract my websites and databases? then run the uninstall[/list]

There is no automatic solution. Its on you (and only you) to backup everyting and finally to restore everything. Xampp does not support you in any way.
Nobbie

Postby rudva » 30. October 2019 00:50

Ok,

Now, how do I backup the databases if the previous MySQL doesn't run anymore? there is a folder to copy? or there is a chance to start MySQL in the localhost?
rudva

Postby rudva » 30. October 2019 20:58

Facts to consider with MacOS Catalina:

• The OS already comes with PHP preinstalled, the version 7.3.9.This could mean just need to install MySQL or MariaDB and your system is ready.
  • ApacheFriends includes many adds needed, including the database server
  • Before Update to MacOS Catalina, backup files and databases from the XAMPP running
Now, far from if I am guilty because I don't backup before, by fortune I have all websites code and databases uploaded and no new projects developing in the localhost. The question now is:

:?: Do I just install the new version and is going overwrite the actual one?

The uninstaller not run either, then I cannot uninstall the actual version. I depend on this to be back on business.
rudva

Postby rudva » 09. November 2019 04:22

:D I Move to XAMPP 7.3.10!! - Upgrade Done!!!

• I install it, was easy than previous versions. There is no more a folder and many shortcuts in your Applications
  • The previous version and files was not overwrited, is still in there. I can't use it, but was glad to have it in terms of source code backup in case my plain copy of files doesn't work
  • The database files are not recoverable, glad I downloaded from the websites in .SQL file then I just run the PHPmyadmin and reinstall
  • Now, the console is more complex

To make it run:
  • need to start the XAMPP drive,
  • then start the services,
  • enable ports (localhost is now localhost:8080), which means in your url you must write localhost:8080/yourlocalwebsite/ instead of localhost. I know that is the way, but was more easy when you don't type the port number in the url.
  • mount the data volumes, /opt/lampp is now your developer volume
  • then a new location for the htdocs is defined, /opt/lampp/htdocs must be the new path in your code editor, in my case I still use Dreamweaver CC 2019 accepting recommendations

Of course new syntax comes for the commands and functions under PHP 7, I don't find yet any "universal" way to just move from a older version to a new one which allows not to rewrite the new syntax.

Because I use my notebook for something else, like edit videos, write blogs and my daily office issues, I close the XAMPP app then the whole make it run process must happen every time I return to code.

My next step, go to Apple support to know how to uninstall and clean the previous 32bit version of software to remove my older XAMPP.
rudva

Return to XAMPP for Mac OS X