a lightweight linux distro for a older Hardware ideas...!?

Einfach Dinge, die nichts mit XAMPP, Apache Friends, Apache, MySQL, PHP und alle dem zu tun haben. Allerlei halt. ;)

a lightweight linux distro for a older Hardware ideas...!?

Postby unleash_it » 29. January 2024 12:02

What lightweight linux distro do you recommend for a older Hardware !?`

I'm considering to run a very very leight Linux because my current Notebook is really poor. The LENOVO T 520 has got not too much RAM: i want to run a lieightweight Linux: I would also prefer one with a good GUI but I don't really care much as long I'll my Lenovo Thinkpad T520 has got 4GBs of ram and a 320gb HDD.

i have heard about the leightweight linux overview: leightweight linux overview

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-wei ... stribution.

A light-weight Linux distribution is one that uses lower memory and/or has less processor-speed requirements than a more "feature-rich" Linux distribution. The lower demands on hardware ideally result in a more responsive machine, and/or allow devices with fewer system resources (e.g. older or embedded hardware) to be used productively. The lower memory and/or processor-speed requirements are achieved by avoiding software bloat, i.e. by leaving out features that are perceived to have little or no practical use or advantage, or for which there is no or low demand.

The perceived weight of a Linux distribution is strongly influenced by the desktop environment included with that distribution.[1][2] Accordingly, many Linux distributions offer a choice of editions. For example, Canonical hosts several variants ("flavors") of the Ubuntu distribution that include desktop environments other than the default GNOME or the deprecated Unity. These variants include the Xubuntu and Lubuntu distributions for the comparatively light-weight Xfce and LXDE / LXQt desktop environments.

The demands that a desktop environment places on a system may be seen in a comparison of the minimum system requirements of Ubuntu 10.10 and Lubuntu 10.10 desktop editions, where the only significant difference between the two was their desktop environment. Ubuntu 10.10 included the Unity desktop, which had minimum system requirements of a 2 GHz processor with 2 GB of RAM,[3] while Lubuntu 10.10 included LXDE, which required at least a Pentium II with 128 MB of RAM.[4]

Overview of some distributions
    Gentoo – can be the lightest system, because even GUI is not included, and can be compiled with -march=native.
    ArchBang – inspired by CrunchBang Linux but based on the Arch Linux distribution instead of Debian.[5][6]
    DebianDog - Debian Live CD shaped after Puppy Linux. It is packaged with JWM and IceWM, or Openbox and Xfce. Debian structure and behaviour are untouched.[7][8]
    LinuxConsole - a lightweight system for old computers made to be easy for youth and casual users.
    Parabola GNU/Linux-libre - an Arch-based lightweight system endorsed by the Free Software Foundation.[9][10]
    postmarketOS – a derivative of Alpine Linux designed primarily for smartphones
    SparkyLinux - a lightweight system based on Debian.
    Zorin OS – also has "Zorin OS Lite" and "Zorin OS Education Lite" editions.

and for example....
antiX
on of the best lightweight Linux distro that’

+ very very few hardware requirements
+ it works justg out of the box functionality
+ has got a bunch of useful apps and a great additional set of custom apps

well i think antiX is one of the best options that’ll be content on a computer with very little resources.
antiX, which uses IceWM together with the Rox file manager,
my friends told me that this is one of the lightest distros on earth and it ships with lots of apps,
including both mainstream and lightweight ones, for virtually every desktop task - including development etc. etx.

BunsenLabs

it is among the best lightweight Linux distros - and is released recently

+very very fast - with overwhelming performance
+ has got a terrific Openbox window manager
+ it run also on 32-bit machines as well

see Lightweight Distro BunsenLabs Linux Boron Is Here Based on Debian Bookworm -- January 24, 2024
BunsenLabs Linux Boron distribution is now available for download based on the Debian GNU/Linux 12 “Bookworm” operating system series. Here’s what’s new!

see more leightweight linux overview
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-wei ... stribution.

a lightweight linux distro for a older Hardware ideas...!? - what would you recommend?
Interessen: Bikes & steel frames: Linux & SBC https://www.allaboutcircuits.com :: die neuen Knowledge-Base: AFFiNE: There can be more than Notion and Miro. auf affine.pro :: WordPress Entwicklung - sic: make.wordpress.org/core/
unleash_it

Operating System: linux opensuse 12.1

Return to Allerlei