Sharing 'opt/lampp/htdocs' htdocs via SMB

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Sharing 'opt/lampp/htdocs' htdocs via SMB

Postby Lap_Dog_Shuffle » 14. December 2004 16:49

Hi,

I've just switched my server from W2kS to Linux (Mandrake 10.1). I'm running XAMPP and I would like to share my htdocs on my Windows network so I can open and edit files on the server from my development machine (Win XP). When I try and share the htdocs folder (/opt/lampp/htdocs) via SMB (running as root) I get the message "Only directories in your home directory can be shared." Fair enough I suppose, but what is the best way of going about this? I've read various things on Linking and Mounting, but so far nothing fits the bill.

BTW: I've also posted this on e-e here(http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_21241795.html) so you can also post there if you want the points :D

Cheers, Steven
Lap_Dog_Shuffle

Postby Oswald » 14. December 2004 16:54

Dear Steven!

I'm not a Samba expert and never saw such an error message before, but as far as I know you only need to add something like this to your smb.conf:

Code: Select all
[htdocs]
    comment = Apache Document Root
    path = /opt/lampp/htdocs
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes

Greetings
Oswald
Oswald
Apache Friends

Operating System: Linux

Postby Lap_Dog_Shuffle » 14. December 2004 23:40

Thanks, I'd tried something like that before, but when I went back to smb.conf i noticed that i had forgotten to uncomment the line which changes the default netbios name, windows wouldn't show the shares because it dosn't like the name "localhost", its all working now thanks.. :-D
Lap_Dog_Shuffle

Postby FrancescoRossi » 28. December 2004 14:25

ok, I have a similar problem too!
I've found the smb.conf file, but I'm not able to find the netbios name parameter...what parameter are you exactly talking about?
FrancescoRossi

Return to XAMPP for Linux