error after clicking "Go To Application"

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

error after clicking "Go To Application"

Postby bd2112 » 04. March 2024 21:12

I'm sure someone has posted this before, but Search is disabled on this website, so I cannot search for an answer.

Anyway, I finally got XAMPP installed and running, however, on the manager, when I click "Go To Application", I get the following error message (in the terminal window - Ubuntu):

Command:
sudo /opt/lampp/manager-linux-x64.run
Works fine, and loads manager, but when I click "Go To Application", then the error below appears

Error:
mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/0': Permission denied
Authorizatoin required, but no authorization protocol specified
Error: cannot open display": :1

I see it's a permission problem, but have no idea what kind - I'm running sudo, so the application should already have root privileges and mkdir is available to all users.
So I have no idea how to make this work. *using latest version of XAMPP and it's a brand new Debian VM running in HyperV
All services are started, just fine, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
bd2112

XAMPP version: 8.2.12-0
Operating System: Ubuntu 12

Re: error after clicking "Go To Application"

Postby Nobbie » 05. March 2024 15:30

Its not recommended to use the "manager-linux-x64" for starting, instead use the terminal and start the servers as recommended in the FAQ:

Code: Select all
sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start

The manager GUI does not run properly in most linux distributions due to various problems with the rights management (i.e. X Server permissions, file permissions, browser restrictions (not to run as root)). Therefore use the lampp script instead.
Nobbie

Postby bd2112 » 05. March 2024 22:23

OK, I thought there was an XAMPP Control Panel - (That's what I thought the "Application" would do). I can save this question for another post, but, how do you start the XAMPP Control Panel? I'm not sure what the file is called, and it's not anywhere on the desktop.
bd2112

Postby Nobbie » 06. March 2024 12:52

There is no Xampp Control Panel for Linux. The manager was supposed to be kind of control panel, but it never runs smoothly and neither was recommended. Linux has totally different rights management than Windows and as the services (Apache, Mysql) requires root priviliges, many or most distributions have limitations on running graphical applications with root access.

Simply use the lampp script as recommended.
Nobbie

Postby bd2112 » 06. March 2024 19:27

Ok, thanks. I had one, a long time ago, but just remembered it was a Windows app - DOH!
bd2112

Return to XAMPP for Linux