acces to mysql from terminal

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

acces to mysql from terminal

Postby santix_17 » 17. August 2023 00:05

Hi everybody!
I don't know if it's a problem or i'm doing it wrong, but when i try to access to mysql from terminal (in linux mint 21.2 with xamp 8.2.0), terminal says this (i'm argentinian, translation below):
No se ha encontrado la orden «mysql», pero se puede instalar con:
sudo apt install mysql-client-core-8.0 # version 8.0.34-0ubuntu0.22.04.1, or
sudo apt install mariadb-client-core-10.6 # version 1:10.6.12-0ubuntu0.22.04.1
"mysql order not found, but it can be installed with:
...".
is this the unique solution?
I tried opening it from /opt/lampp/, /opt/lampp/bin/, /opt/lampp/mysql/ and from ~/ and doesn't work
thanks for your attention friends
have a nice day! (or night)
santix_17

XAMPP version: 8.2.0
Operating System: Linux mint 21.2 Victoria

Re: acces to mysql from terminal

Postby Nobbie » 17. August 2023 22:00

santix_17 wrote:sudo apt install mysql-client-core-8.0 # version 8.0.34-0ubuntu0.22.04.1, or
sudo apt install mariadb-client-core-10.6 # version 1:10.6.12-0ubuntu0.22.04.1

That is plain nonsense, you MUST undo these installations! You cannot run both Xampp and the Linux Mint installation of MariaDB!

santix_17 wrote:is this the unique solution?
I tried opening it from /opt/lampp/, /opt/lampp/bin/, /opt/lampp/mysql/ and from ~/ and doesn't work

Not its not!

You seems to be new to Linux, you MUST not enter "mysql" command without pathname. Either start mysql via full pathname:

Code: Select all
/opt/lampp/bin/mysql

or (as you seems to try) proceed to folder /opt/lampp/bin and start the command properly via:

Code: Select all
./mysql

You CANNOT simply enter "mysql" into a terminal, that is basic linux knowledge, as then the command is searched via your PATH environment variable. But /opt/lampp/bin usually is not part of PATH variable (you may add it, but it is not added per default).
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux