popos, ubuntu 22.04 DPI installer not visible

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

popos, ubuntu 22.04 DPI installer not visible

Postby leeuw » 10. October 2022 23:59

Hi apache friends,

I am trying to set up my popos debian like system on my laptop.
Great desktop this popos. I can recommend it. If you like cosmetics in linux try it out.

My question;

I have a laptop with a 1920 x 1080 resolution. Already an older DPI screen.
What I don't understand, I tried to look up my problem with duckduckgo,
no one seems to have the problem I'm having here.
when I download the php 8.0 xampp installer for linux from the site,
I chmod +x (file) it, to get executable right. I run the file 'sudo ./(file) '.

A installer screen opens, but has the size of a post stamp. Whatever I try to do it is terrible.
Maybe I overlooked, but there appears to be no help available?
How is that possible? Every Xampp linux user must have that problem no? Anyone a laptop older then
2015? I have, but it was modded with a dpi screen.
How is it possible, there is no instruction for dpi screens and XAMPP gui stretching "how to's"
in the instructions?

Please help.

p.s. a .desktop automatically in the installer would that be an idea?

Thanks for any help. :D

leeuw
leeuw

XAMPP version: 8.0.23
Operating System: popos 22.04 x64, kernel 5.19.0

Re: popos, ubuntu 22.04 DPI installer not visible

Postby Nobbie » 11. October 2022 11:13

What do you mean by "DPI screen"?

I own 3 different laptops, each with 17,3 inch screen, 1920x1080 Pixel, running Linux Mint or KDE Neon and all of them installing Xampp flawlessly. Actually, the installer Window isnt very big (its not fullscreen by far), but i can read it and last not least it does not show up much information.

I start and stop Xampp manually in a terminal using the provided /opt/lampp/lampp script.
Nobbie

Postby leeuw » 11. October 2022 15:45

Thanks Nobbie.
It is not very complex. I probably used the wrong word.
I meant only a high screen resolution, which was why I mentioned the pixel numbers.

On my screen it is too small to read. In an earlier attempt I installed it and later found that the user GUI,
(the panel used to start maria database, apache servers) was unreadable to.
The os I use, popos by system76, has no option to scale individual applications.
But how many are out there scale perfect on modern screens?

How to perform and what did others do?
Yes, I know terminal is a workaround.
It is also possible to write an email in a terminal session.
How many people are doing that on a daily base?
Except for mailserver admins on a rare occasion probably.
leeuw

Postby Nobbie » 11. October 2022 18:32

leeuw wrote:How to perform and what did others do?
Yes, I know terminal is a workaround.

Its not a "workaround", i never used another script.

You cannot compare that to writing an email, its simply entering a single command and you are done:

Code: Select all
sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start

Is this really to hard for you??

Anyway, if you are well familiar with Linux, you may link /opt/lampp/lampp to /etc/init.d and finally link it to /etc/rcX.d (where X is the runlevel), and use the syntax to start/stopp the execution automatically (/etc/rcX.d/s88lampp for example for starting, /etc/rcX.d/k88lampp for killing). The lampp script is compatibel to init.d syntax.

That is BY FAR more linux like than using a GUI script for starting system services (daemons). Using GUIs actually is more Windows like. I had written a basic tutorial here in this forum, how to provide lampp to init.d, but i cannot find it anymore and the forum search is quite dumb.... but you should know on yourself how to add a job to init.d. Then Xampp will start/stop automatically when booting/rebooting or on shutdown.
Nobbie

Postby leeuw » 14. October 2022 16:46

Nebbie,

Lunix purist crap. Write a init.d script. Bollocks.
I did many of those in my linux hobby. I was very happy when the systemctl enable came later for the debian + alikes.
However, it is crap to expect a daily user to be satisfied with a 10 year old gui and skip it, to find a solution to get things working.
You like init scripts? Ask the xampp developer team to offer one included in the .deb file. But it is quite annoying to
let people believe you need to write an init to use a software.

Thanks so far, I will then find my own solution.
leeuw

Postby Nobbie » 14. October 2022 18:19

leeuw wrote:Lunix purist crap. Write a init.d script. Bollocks.

No, you got it wrong. I did not ask you "write an init.d script", there is already a working script. You simply have to put to init.d (thats what i told you). Why do you use Linux if you dont like it?

leeuw wrote:But it is quite annoying to
let people believe you need to write an init to use a software.

Nobody told you to write an init.d script in order to use Xampp. Are you drunken? You already cannot write my name correctly. Poor.

leeuw wrote:However, it is crap to expect a daily user to be satisfied with a 10 year old gui and skip it

OMG. Actually, it is crap that you believe that i am 10 years old. Very funny. What is wrong with you? Getting older does not mean getting dumber in my mind (obviously, its your way of life). Poor once more.

I dont like people like you. Getting everything wrong, blaming others for their own problems, coming into a forum and writing lots of shit without thinking. I simply tried to help you, i am only a simple user like you, but i am not interested in your braintrash.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux