Apache shutting down in XAMPP 7.4.16-0 and Linux Mint 20.1

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache shutting down in XAMPP 7.4.16-0 and Linux Mint 20.1

Postby PortMacOnline » 20. April 2021 07:57

Hi guys,
I am a new convert to Linux, from Windows 10, so be gentle with me! I installed XAMPP v7.4.16-0 from the website, installation seemed to go well, but when I start XAMPP, MySQL and ProFTP start and run, but Apache tries to start, then stops almost immediately. I am getting a warning message in terminal:

** (xed:48641): WARNING **: 16:30:32.509: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-position not supported

which is way above my pay grade at the moment. Can anyone translate that into English that a ten year old could understand?

I need something like XAMPP on Linux to build our client websites, I used a program called Laragon on Windoze, but it is Win-only. I did play around with the Win version of XAMPP and it worked okay, so I am guessing that this is just a setting that needs to be changed, but no idea where to start. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Terry (Confused) Chadban
PortMacOnline

XAMPP version: 7.4.16-0
Operating System: Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon

Re: Apache shutting down in XAMPP 7.4.16-0 and Linux Mint 20

Postby Nobbie » 20. April 2021 17:58

How do you start Apache?

That error message means that (i dont know why) your texteditor "xed" has been invoked via "sudo" and cannot set the appropriate document type (which ever, i dont know). Actually, its only a warning, not an error. Should not be a problem. For any reason, you are starting a texteditor instead of Apache. Therefore, please explain more precisely, what are you doing in order to run Apache?
Nobbie

Postby PortMacOnline » 21. April 2021 01:01

Hi @Nobbie,
All I did was to install the program with the default settings, and at the end it had the checkbox option to launch the program after clicking 'Finish', so any settings were made by the installer. However I have installed the XAMPP Panel applet and when I click on 'Start All' in the XAMPP Manager the same thing happens. All three options show 'Starting', MySQL Database and ProFTP show 'Running', but Apache shows red and 'Stopped'.

Cheers,
Terry Chadban
PortMacOnline

Postby Nobbie » 21. April 2021 10:20

Do not use the applet, start Xampp with the Shell script as described in the FAQ: https://www.apachefriends.org/faq_linux.html

Start a terminal and enter this command:

sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start

To stop all services enter this command:

sudo /opt/lampp/lampp stop
Nobbie

Postby PortMacOnline » 22. April 2021 01:46

Hi Nobbie,
Same result -- the problem isn't the applet, it is the installation. Here is the terminal output:

=====

terry@XXXXX:~$ sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start
[sudo] password for terry:
Starting XAMPP for Linux 7.4.16-0...
XAMPP: Starting Apache...fail.
XAMPP: Another web server is already running.
XAMPP: Starting MySQL...ok.
XAMPP: Starting ProFTPD...ok.
terry@XXXXX:~$ sudo /opt/lampp/lampp stop
Stopping XAMPP for Linux 7.4.16-0...
XAMPP: Stopping Apache...not running.
XAMPP: Stopping MySQL...ok.
XAMPP: Stopping ProFTPD...ok.

=====

There is obviously something wrong with the default settings, my guess would be a port conflict? But where, and which? I just need a system that works.

Cheers,
Terry Chadban
PortMacOnline

Postby Nobbie » 22. April 2021 09:35

Try to reboot and starting then. If it still fails i cannot help any further. You may of course try to install Apache etc. from the Linux Mint repository (the software installer) instead of using Xampp.

P.S.: Did you already install Apache from linux? If yes, you cannot install and run two instances, de- install it before installing Xampp.
Nobbie

Postby PortMacOnline » 23. April 2021 00:55

Hi Nobbie,
Thanks anyway for your advice. Given that I hadn't even heard of XED, let alone used it -- I use Nano for basic text editing, I am guessing that this is an installation problem rather than user error, so I will wait to see if there are updates to the program.

Cheers,
Terry Chadban
PortMacOnline

Postby Nobbie » 24. April 2021 13:28

PortMacOnline wrote: I am guessing that this is an installation problem rather than user error, so I will wait to see if there are updates to the program.

No, i definately dont think so. I am pretty sure its a configuration issue of your linux installation, I use Linux Mint as well and i have no problems using Xampp. What "updates" are you looking for? I dont think Xampp (Bitnami) will solve your problem, you have to find out what is going wrong on yourself. There wont be an update especially for Linux Mint. Keep in mind, Xampp is designed to run on every(!) known linux distribution without any changes. That is very uncommon, as linux distributions usually uses their own software repositories and installers, but Xampp is not integrated in any of these repositories.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux