Best course of action for starting over on a website?

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Best course of action for starting over on a website?

Postby fredbird67 » 12. February 2021 04:18

Due to issues with Wordpress that I can't find a solution for (can't seem to delete an auto-generated menu, and I've decided I'd rather use another menu system instead), I'm thinking about starting the project over again since I can't figure out how to undo something I've done in Wordpress, and I've looked all over for an answer to it and can't find one. My question is, I've set passwords for all 3 instances of the root user in PHPMyAdmin. From previous experience, I've had problems when I've dropped a database without deleting users I've created. Therefore, before I do anything drastic, what should I do? Should I:

1) Just delete that database and the associated website anyway? I've already copied all the media and the page contents into my Documents directory, BTW.
2) Delete XAMPP itself and reinstall it (I've discovered that dealing with MariaDB/MySQL can get pretty hairy LOL)? Or,
3) Completely reinstall Debian? (I don't wanna do that if I can help it -- and I think I've done that before just to get around a problem)

Which of these is the best and most trouble-free course of action?

Thanx in advance,
Fred in West Plains, MO
fredbird67

XAMPP version: 8.0.1-1
Operating System: Debian Stable

Re: Best course of action for starting over on a website?

Postby Nobbie » 12. February 2021 11:44

I would simply create a new database. What is the idea of deleting data? If you want to get rid of unused data (for which reason ever) its ok to drop the old database.
Nobbie

Re: Best course of action for starting over on a website?

Postby MattPayne » 20. February 2021 21:08

Really like the idea of just simply creating a new database. I'd avoid step 3 like the plague lol.
MattPayne

XAMPP version: 1.7.7
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Return to XAMPP for Linux