Left over lampp

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Left over lampp

Postby wilko007 » 04. February 2021 19:46

Hi, I had an issue I couldn't get over, so i decided to uninstall everything XAMPP and install LAMPP stack (Linux already installed of course).

I removed apache, php, mysql and phpmyadmin.
I deleted the lampp directory.
Purged everything and rebooted

I then went about re-installing these modules. Obviously they are installed slightly differently, as last time it installed in the /opt/lampp/ directory.

All installed ok and apache & php worked fine. Mysql did not - it is still looking for /opt/lampp/var/mysql/mysql.sock
If i run mysql in the terminal, i get: ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/opt/lampp/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Why is it still looking here?! I googled and found that the reason is that the my.cnf file is still pointing at it. Does purging not get rid of this? Is it a case of just pointing to the new location? And if so, where is the new location after running sudo apt install mysql-server?

I found out there was an error when phpmyadmin wouldn't let me log in with any default username and password combination, and after altering the config.inc.php file!

All is not well! Can anyone help me please?
wilko007

XAMPP version: 7.4.14
Operating System: Linux Mint 21

Return to XAMPP for Linux