FTP and New Xampp Install on Linux

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

FTP and New Xampp Install on Linux

Postby bobfbobf » 28. January 2020 21:00

Installed new Mint Linux 19.3 followed by Xampp (xampp-linux-x64-7.4.1-1). Yesterday I spent five hours researching and tried many variations of changing permissions in the web server to allow my FTP client to both upload a file and set it's permissions. Always able to log into the Linux ftp and load a file but only with default permissions (0644) and always unable to alter those permissions through FTP. Today I reloaded Mint again and reloaded Xampp again but only made one change. I did a 'sudo su', changed to the /opt/lampp directory and did a 'chown bobf.bobf htdocs' as suggested in the Xampp 'HOW-TO Guides' and 'Configure FTP Access'. Did an 'ls -al' in the /opt/lampp directory and it showed 755 permissions for htdocs with the owner as bobf. Again, same result from WinSCP FTP client. Able to log in, able to upload file, but unable to make it executable or change permissions at all. Note that the FTP client shows user and group as bobf also. Also I have been using this FTP client for years to upload and set permissions on all of my files on my shared account at ASO. What am I missing?

Thank you for your time. Have a great day!

Bob
bobfbobf

XAMPP version: x64-7.4.1-
Operating System: Mint Linux 19.3

Re: FTP and New Xampp Install on Linux

Postby bobfbobf » 28. January 2020 22:16

I also just tried another FTP client with the same results and also tried not using passive mode in the WinSCP client. The WinSCP client error is 'CHMOD 744 /urs_testTime.cgi: Permission denied'.
bobfbobf

Re: FTP and New Xampp Install on Linux

Postby bobfbobf » 29. January 2020 00:43

OK, I finally found it. The configuration file for the FTP server (proftpd.conf) is located in /opt/lampp/etc. That file has all CHMOD denied by default. Since this is a home system, I simple changed 'DenyAll' to 'AllowAll' and that fixed the problem.

Thank you for your time. Have a great day!

bob
bobfbobf

Return to XAMPP for Linux