Enable Web Application Firewall - Mod Security

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Enable Web Application Firewall - Mod Security

Postby combrolegit » 17. November 2019 09:30

Dear All Apache Friends member,

Hi, I'm new in Linux and xampp, I've been searching for tutorial to enable mod security, the open source web application firewall on xampp (mine using version 7.2.22 on Ubuntu 18.04) but still no luck, what I found only tutorial for the native apache2 here https://hostadvice.com/how-to/how-to-setup-modsecurity-for-apache-on-ubuntu-18-04/, and I'm not sure that it will work with xampp, since the xampp apache service will be on /opt/lampp/lampp (cmiiw) not using service named Apache 2 as described on that tutorial. I've been search on this forum also with mod security keywords but didn't find the tutorial, please help me to properly enable mod security on xampp, thank you.
combrolegit

XAMPP version: 7.2.22
Operating System: Linux Ubuntu 18.04

Re: Enable Web Application Firewall - Mod Security

Postby Nobbie » 17. November 2019 12:18

As far as i can see in the modules folder (/opt/lampp/modules), Xampp does not deliver any mod_security module. Obviously, Its not supported by Xampp. Anyway, as Xampp is NOT designed for Online servers but for local development only, there is no need for any firewall / mod_security.
Nobbie

Postby combrolegit » 19. November 2019 01:45

Nobbie wrote:As far as i can see in the modules folder (/opt/lampp/modules), Xampp does not deliver any mod_security module. Obviously, Its not supported by Xampp. Anyway, as Xampp is NOT designed for Online servers but for local development only, there is no need for any firewall / mod_security.

Hi,thank you for the answer, well if there is a need for security improvement such as preventing ddos attack or sql injection what can be done with Xampp? I know now that Xamp is not designed for online, but I already use it as online server, really appreciate for the answer.
combrolegit

XAMPP version: 7.2.22
Operating System: Linux Ubuntu 18.04

Postby Nobbie » 19. November 2019 12:33

combrolegit wrote:what can be done with Xampp?

Sorry, as i do no use Xampp for Online Servers, i have no idea. Why did you ignore that recommendation, it cant be overlooked? I think its easier to switch over to Apache/PHP/MariaDB from Ubuntu repository than to secure Xampp. Otherwise you need the help of Bitnami, but i dont think they can (want?!) help quickly on that.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux