XAMPP VS LAMPP

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP VS LAMPP

Postby trymeout » 19. June 2019 20:32

What is the difference between installing XAMPP on Linux vs installing the following packages on Linux to create the LAMPP stack

Apache2
Mysql-server
Php
Phpmyadmin

To my knowledge, XAMPP comes with a control panel that allows you to easily start and stop the apache and mysql and when you turn on your computer XAMPP services are off by default. The LAMPP stack when you turn on your computer, apache and mysql is on and has no GUI and requires the terminal to start and stop it?

Is there a GUI you can download to control the LAMPP services?

Is one better for security? I just want to have a tool to develop websites on my computer and have a testing environment that only I can access on my computer and local wifi network. Is XAMPP more secure or will LAMPP be more secure?

I used XAMPP lots for web development on Windows but I am moving to Linux as a desktop computer OS and want to know which is better for my needs.
trymeout

XAMPP version: 3.3.2
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: XAMPP VS LAMPP

Postby Nobbie » 19. June 2019 20:53

The problem is, XAMPP stack is ALWAYS the same, independent from your distribution.

LAMPP stack is NOT alsways the same, it heavily depends on the distribution you are using. Therefore i cannot see how to compare LAMPP (per distribution) vs. XAMPP (always the same).
Nobbie

Postby trymeout » 19. June 2019 21:16

What do you mean by depending on your distro to XAMPP always being the same?
trymeout

Postby Nobbie » 19. June 2019 21:35

trymeout wrote:What do you mean by depending on your distro to XAMPP always being the same?

You got that heavily wrong - i said Xampp is INDEPENDENT to your distro always the same. INDEPENDENT. Lampp heavily depends on your distro. Got it now?
Nobbie

Postby trymeout » 19. June 2019 23:16

So XAMPP is essentially software, and just like any other software XAMPP can be installed on many devices. LAMPP on the other hand is more embedded into your distro and becomes apart of it?
trymeout

Postby Nobbie » 20. June 2019 09:43

Exactly. Xampp is a fixed installation and is always the same for Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Mint, Fedora etc. etc.

Lampp is only a shortcut and means the tools Apache, PHP, Mysql etc. as they are integrated in the repositories of these Linux distributions. The repositories arent the same, the tools are maintained in different releases (for example Manjaro as a so called rolling release mostly comes with newer releases than Mint) and mostly the installation folders can differ as the structure of the configuration files.

Xampp always installs into /opt/lampp, the Apache configuration heavily differs from Debians Apache configuration. The configuration options of course are the same, as Apache is Apache, but the configuration is stored in different files and is structured differently. For example, if you like to create VirtualHosts, Xampp offers the file httpd_vhosts.conf in subfolder ext. There is neither a subfolder ext in Debian, nor a file httpd_vhosts.conf. Debian offers complete different structure for the Apache configuration.
Nobbie

Postby trymeout » 20. June 2019 20:42

You are unable to have multiple VirtualHosts with LAMPP? With LAMPP your only able to have one "VirtualHost"?
trymeout

Postby Nobbie » 20. June 2019 23:10

Nonsense, please read more carefully. Of course you can have VirtualHosts, but the configuration files where to put the definition are different.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux