Page 1 of 1

Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 22. February 2019 04:06
by Jon_Don
Because I have to go through this every single time to just to run the software:

cd /opt/lampp
sudo ./manager-linux-x64.run

I had to memorize it.
And that really painful.
Why there is no graphical Xamp icon to launch the application normally?
Why do I have to be a complete nerd and go through terminal?
:x :x :x

Just because its Linux it doesn't it that it has to be like this.

Re: Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 22. February 2019 09:42
by Nobbie
https://askubuntu.com/questions/890818/ ... trol-panel

Instead of /usr/share/applications/xampp-control-panel.desktop put the file onto your desktop.

Re: Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 18. March 2019 10:40
by Jon_Don
Nobbie wrote:https://askubuntu.com/questions/890818/ubuntu-16-04-how-to-start-xampp-control-panel

Instead of /usr/share/applications/xampp-control-panel.desktop put the file onto your desktop.


So, instead of providing an easier way to give us to start the application, u want me and million other users like me to go through this bullshit.
Is there a way to contact developers?

Note: There is no such file "xampp-control-panel.desktop" in /usr/share/applications/.

Re: Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 18. March 2019 12:36
by Nobbie
Jon_Don wrote:So, instead of providing an easier way to give us to start the application, u want me and million other users like me to go through this bullshit.


If its bullshit for you, Linux and Xampp is not the right toy for you. You should go for easier toys.

Jon_Don wrote:Is there a way to contact developers?


I dont think they are interested in your bullshit.

Re: Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 13. August 2019 14:36
by Jon_Don
Nobbie wrote:https://askubuntu.com/questions/890818/ubuntu-16-04-how-to-start-xampp-control-panel

Instead of /usr/share/applications/xampp-control-panel.desktop put the file onto your desktop.


Why can't xampp devs automate this process just like zillion other apps we install from the terminal or by running installer!

What they are waiting for? 2050? Maybe then, they acknowledge this and might consider.

Re: Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 13. August 2019 14:46
by Jon_Don
"If its bullshit for you, Linux and Xampp is not the right toy for you. You should go for easier toys.


If Xampp app was non-GUI, I won't even bother to ask them. But we are talking about a fully functional GUI app. There are thousands of popular day-to-day developers apps where people just can click a button and everything happens on its own.

Or are u saying all Linux user has to be a nerd who always does his/her thing from the terminal! My man, then u are way behind where tasting easy-to-use distros.

I don't think they are interested in your bullshit.


Then it's their loss. Not mine. A users feedback to important for any devs to improve their app. Whether its a bug or some feature request.

Re: Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 13. August 2019 19:25
by Nobbie
Jon_Don wrote:Why can't xampp devs automate this process just like zillion other apps we install from the terminal or by running installer!


Which zillion other apps do you know, that are installed as a binary and are NOT installed from distribution repository and is running on ALL Linux Distributions? I dont know even one. But you know a zillion, please list them all. Thx in advance.

Re: Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 13. August 2019 20:54
by Altrea
XAMPP does not fit every users needs. It don't want to and will never do.
XAMPP is not the best tool for everyone and thats okay.

XAMPP will not blame you for choosing a different webserver bundle.
There are dozens of them available on the internet.

Don't try to change XAMPP the way you want this software to be.
The things that are cons in your opinion might be the pros for other people.

XAMPP is independend from a single linux distribution, it does not touch the system as deep as packaged software does.
And that is the way we like XAMPP to stay.

Re: Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 14. August 2019 10:51
by Nobbie
Last not least, Ubuntu also comes with PPAs and repository and you can install Apache, PHP, MySQL etc. from Ubuntus Repository. There is no need for Xampp.

Re: Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 04. October 2019 10:22
by xarth
Jon_Don wrote:Because I have to go through this every single time to just to run the software:

cd /opt/lampp
sudo ./manager-linux-x64.run

I had to memorize it.
And that really painful.
Why there is no graphical Xamp icon to launch the application normally?
Why do I have to be a complete nerd and go through terminal?
:x :x :x

Just because its Linux it doesn't it that it has to be like this.


Yep, agreed. There could be a one-click button to the GUI manager if users don't like the terminal.
I added application launchers to my desktop, one to the GUI manager path (opens a terminal only for the root password) and the other to localhost to open a browser. I just click two icons now.
I don't use Ubuntu, so I'm not sure how you'd do it there.

Re: Why i don't like/perfer XAMPP?

PostPosted: 04. October 2019 16:09
by Nobbie
xarth wrote:I don't use Ubuntu, so I'm not sure how you'd do it there.


Anyway - join Bitnami and apply a GUI plus installer for each and all distributions that are out there in the world. Just to make users like you happy.