INSTALLER. BIN ???

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

INSTALLER. BIN ???

Postby alberto233m » 25. June 2017 19:18

Hello everyone.
I'm trying to install Xampp in my computer.I'm using manjaro linux.
I've downloded several times the installer from https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html.
Everywhere I read that I have to execute a file with extension .run. but in my download folder only have a .bin file.
This is the file I've downloaded:
xampp-linux-x64-7.1.6-0-installer.bin
I give permission 755 to this file and execute but it doesn't do anything.
Where can I get the file xampp-linux-x64-7.1.6-0-installer.run?
Is it possible to install XAMPP with the file .bin I've dwonloaded?

I've used Xampp in Windows and I didn't have any problem to work with it....

Many thanks in advance for your help.
alberto233m

XAMPP version: ???
Operating System: anjaro Linux

Re: INSTALLER. BIN ???

Postby Nobbie » 25. June 2017 20:55

alberto233m wrote:Everywhere I read that I have to execute a file with extension .run. but in my download folder only have a .bin file.

I cannot reproduce that behaviour. When i proceed to that site and click on the download button, already when the mouse is over the link, my browsers status line shows up "https://www.apachefriends.org/xampp-files/7.1.6/xampp-linux-x64-7.1.6-0-installer.run". It must be something in your browser or in your environment what renames that file.

Anyway, it is only a file name and the extension does not matter in any way. That should work as well, if the download succeeded. Last not least you also may simply rename that file.

alberto233m wrote:I give permission 755 to this file and execute but it doesn't do anything.

Please describe precisely, what you are doing. How do you "execute" that file?
Nobbie

Postby alberto233m » 26. June 2017 19:06

Hello
Thanks for your answer.
The truth I don't know what happened, after few hours trying to install it I switched off my laptop for dinner and when I switch on again and try, everything works. Like you say in your answer there should be something wrong in my browser or laptop, probably for an earlier installation.
Now I'm fighting to starting MySQL Database...
Thanks I lot for your help.
alberto233m

XAMPP version: ???
Operating System: anjaro Linux

Postby Nobbie » 27. June 2017 09:31

alberto233m wrote:Now I'm fighting to starting MySQL Database...

That should not be a fight as well. If it does not start properly under Linux, there is mostly only one reason: you already have another MySQL running on your PC. You cannot run two installations at the same time.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux