XAMPP gives 403 Forbidden Error

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP gives 403 Forbidden Error

Postby googol8080 » 15. October 2016 16:46

XAMPP Version: 7.0.9

My problem occurs when I uninstalled the XAMPP (because of some issues) and re-installed it, I followed the tutorial here
https://www.apachefriends.org/faq_linux.html

I also tried this code in Terminal to copy my files in htdocs

Code: Select all
sudo chown nits:nits /opt/lampp htdocs

sudo chmod 700 /opt/lampp/htdocs

And some other issues occurs, when I use the Terminal to start the xampp, mysql and apache works, but for some reason, it doesn't work with the xampp GUI application, and when I open up the log file, it says it can't write files to the perspective directories. (I can share you the log files if you want.)

Can someone help me with this? Thank you.
googol8080

XAMPP version: 7.0.9
Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04.1 TLS

Re: XAMPP gives 403 Forbidden Error

Postby Nobbie » 16. October 2016 11:43

googol8080 wrote:
sudo chown nits:nits /opt/lampp htdocs

There is slash missing!?

googol8080 wrote:
sudo chmod 700 /opt/lampp/htdocs

700 is a very strange mode and does not grant many rights, only the owner of htdocs (and nobody else) may read or write files in htdocs. As Apache is also executed by a certain user in a certain group, Apache can access any file under htdocs only if Apache is executed from user nits.

googol8080 wrote:And some other issues occurs, when I use the Terminal to start the xampp, mysql and apache works, but for some reason, it doesn't work with the xampp GUI application, and when I open up the log file, it says it can't write files to the perspective directories. (I can share you the log files if you want.)

Can someone help me with this? Thank you.

Maybe due to the missing slash, and/or due to the fact, that "nits:nits" cannot access Apache logfiles?? How did you configure Apache, which user and group did you specify for the execution of Apache?
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux